Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office and under the overall guidance of the Head of Field Coordination, the National Field Officer will be responsible for supporting and strengthening the capacities of the Government of South Sudan and humanitarian agencies to prepare for mitigate and respond to humanitarian emergencies in South Sudan. In particular, the national Field Officer will work with Head of the Sub Office to monitor and document ongoing and developing humanitarian crises, population movements, and humanitarian space and access within an assigned geographical area. S/he will support the coordination and implementation of inter-agency needs assessment missions, humanitarian response monitoring missions and other field work, and will strengthen humanitarian coordination mechanisms in the field.
- Support the Head of Sub Office in serving as the key focal point within the humanitarian system for NGOs, UN agencies and Government partners within the assigned geographical area of responsibility. Be informed and able to represent the interests of humanitarian actors within a given state or sector and advise on humanitarian priorities and principles.
- Build collaborative and effective relationships with all actors, both humanitarian and non-humanitarian, to ensure that all available resources and actors are ready to support humanitarian operations when necessary.
- Organize, participate, and lead interagency needs assessments. Ensure key findings, recommendations and final assessment reports are widely disseminated and debated in the relevant forums. Ensure the follow up to the Plan of Action agreed upon on the basis of the assessed needs
- Together with the Head of Sub Office, ensure implementation of inclusive, field-level inter-agency humanitarian coordination mechanisms, including supporting the Head of Sub Office in conducting inter-sectoral coordination at the state level; support a particular sector(s) as requested, including by attending sector meetings, and help to ensure sector is meeting the minimum deliverables, providing support where necessary.
- Monitor and track all new humanitarian incidents. Document all developments and share through verbal or written reports/briefings with field-level implementing partners and the OCHA Head of Field Coordination in Juba.
- Support the collection of field information to improve coordination activities and effectively map areas of humanitarian needs and response activities.
- Contribute to the development of reporting and public information products through preparation of weekly internal field reports.
- Support the OCHA office by participating in, as needed, the preparation and hosting of high-level field visits and missions and assessments, lessons learned and evaluations.
- Work in close collaboration with Government authorities and seek opportunities to increase the humanitarian capacity of local authorities.
- Ensure the use of gender-sensitive needs assessment, needs analysis and response strategy development. Promote the use of the interagency agreed guidelines, sphere standards, criteria of intervention, and checklists agreed at inter sector level.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Sub Office of the Head of Field Coordination.
- Sound knowledge of and exposure to the field of humanitarian assistance and ability to identify humanitarian-related issues and to use knowledge/judgement in resolving potential problems, including ability to evaluate information from a variety of sources to assess the impact of the humanitarian situation in assigned field duty station/area/region/area
- Ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with wide range of actors, including Government, UN, and NGOs.
- Proven ability to manage complex information.
- Ability to identify priority activities and adjust them as required.
- Ability to identify the key issues in a complex situation, and come to the heart of the problem quickly
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Ask questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
- Ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with wide range of actors, including Government, UN, and NGOs. Manage complex information.
- Ability to identify priority activities and adjust them as required.
- Ability to identify the key issues in a complex situation and come to the heart of the problem quickly.
- Ability to sorts collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; support and act in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts Joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Initiative, independence and sound judgment, maturity and team spirit, problem solving and action oriented.
- Should be able to establish and maintain productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress and meet timeline.
Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences with 2 relevant years of experience. Maters degree will be an added advantage but not a must requrement
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position with an international organization engaged in relief and development work in South Sudan.
- Experience in conducting humanitarian assessments and in implementing humanitarian programs.
- Experience with humanitarian coordination, preferably in leadership roles.
- Experience working with Government of South Sudan humanitarian counterparts and capacity building.
- Understanding of humanitarian operations and principles
- Ability to communicate clearly with a demonstrated openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of actors under significant time and logistical constraints and deliver results.
- Excellent computer knowledge (Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint), E-Mail programmes (Lotus Notes preferred or MS Outlook), Internet search machines and responsible virus free internet usage.
- Knowledge of handling GPS receivers and Thuraya phone will be an added advantage.
This vacancy announcement is for qualified South Sudanese nationals only
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.undp.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNDP Personal History Form. Please note that UNDP only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.undp.org will be considered and applications received after closing date will not be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNDP South Sudan vacancies, only applicants short-listed for written test and interview will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Knowledge of Arabic will be an added advantage.
Contract Duration: 09 Months (Renewable)