Working at the FRC
A member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, the FRC is an international organization that has been dedicated to supporting the most vulnerable populations for over 150 years.
Its International Relations and Operations Department (DROI) is present in some 20 countries, notably in Africa, the Middle East/Europe, and the Indian Ocean and Caribbean zone via its Regional Intervention Platforms (PIRs). Its areas of intervention are varied: health, water and sanitation, food security and livelihoods, psychosocial support, and disaster risk reduction, both in emergency contexts and in post-crisis recovery.
In this sense, the Middle East Desk manages in particular delegations in Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria, where its teams implement projects in response to regional crises, in order to alleviate the impact of conflicts on the most vulnerable populations.
The intern will work in the MOCAPE Geographic Desk, reporting to the Deputy Desk Officer. In relation with the Technical, Logistics, and Finance Departments of the Directorate, the intern's main mission will be to provide permanent support to the delegations and headquarters to ensure the smooth running of operations.
In addition, as part of the response to Covid-19, the MO division has several new projects underway, and as such, the intern will be responsible for supporting the various processes in operational and administrative support to the assistant, while ensuring the smooth functioning of the delegations, the flow of information to headquarters and between headquarters and the field, and also, ensure the daily monitoring of files related to the Middle East.
At the end of 2021, marked by the CRF's international strategic transition, attention will be paid to its implementation in the countries where the desk operates. The intern will support the assistant in the analysis of indicators, communication, and coordination with the delegations.
He/she will be in direct contact with the delegations when necessary.
Knowledge of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, its functioning, and its specificities;
Discover the humanitarian world, the functioning, the role, and the responsibilities of the headquarters of an international organization;
Knowledge and practice of the international project cycle;
Knowledge of the programs implemented by the delegations in the area and the different areas of expertise of the FIU;
Introduction to administrative, financial, human resources, and logistical management of an international mission and international projects,
Knowledge of project management tools specific to the humanitarian world;
Knowledge of donors in the area;
Follow-up of the evolution of the context of the zone, and maintenance of an assiduous watch;
Capitalization and archiving of information concerning the programs and the MO zone.
Management of the desk
- Support the processing of logistical and financial requests from the field (application of procedures, processing of requests for advances, preparation of bank authorizations, etc.) in conjunction with the various departments concerned
- Writing letters to partners and internal memos, signing contracts
- Participation in desk meetings/preparation of support meetings, agendas, and meeting minutes
- Internal communication, creation, and updating of country and project files, production of presentation materials, contextual and humanitarian analyses
Ensure the filing and archiving of project and support documents (physical and computer archiving)**Project follow-up**
Follow-up on reporting deadlines in collaboration with the field
Update project monitoring tools (dashboard, database, signature tracking)
Participate in the review of project proposals and reports (interim and final)
Departure of delegates in the field
- Preparation of files for the departure/return briefings of delegates on international missions and preparation of support missions for headquarters employees (updating of welcome booklets according to the specificities of the positions)
- Follow-up of delegates' administrative files
- Cross-functional and ad hoc missions in connection with other DROI units may be added according to opportunities.
In addition, to support the start of the position, the intern will have access to training provided at headquarters: donors and their procedures, preparation for the departure of delegates (PAD), etc. If possible, and depending on the workload, access to first aid training and initiation to field management software is also offered.
- English: excellent level of written and spoken English
- Very good writing, analysis, and synthesis skills
- Spirit of initiative, rigor, and autonomy
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Master's degree in International Relations, Humanitarian, Development, and Cooperation or equivalent training
- Very good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team and with multiple interlocutors,
- Dynamism, stress resistance, ability to work in a hurry and on multiple files at the same time
- Ability to adapt in a changing professional context
- Proficiency in computer tools (Excel, Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet Explorer)
- Strong motivation to work in the humanitarian field and knowledge of humanitarian actors and the international cooperation environment
- Knowledge of the International Red Cross Movement appreciated
6-month internship, full-time. Internship agreement required.
- Compensation of approximately 550€/month (3,9 €/hour) + employer's contribution to the company restaurant + 50% of the RATP contribution.
- Based on 35h/week.
Desired date of arrival: 28/09/2021
The internship is available from the end of September for a period of 6 months (expected end: end of March 2022).
Due to the current health situation, attendance at the Red Cross Campus is limited and subject to a strict protocol. The arrangement in effect at the time of this announcement is to work remotely. It may be revised as the situation evolves.