INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: MHPSS Advisor
Duty station: remote work
Starting date: 01/10/2021
Contract duration: 3 months
Reporting to: Protection Coordinator
General context of the project
Title of the project: Provision of essential and quality services through an integrated protection, health and nutrition response for vulnerable conflict-affected population in Southern Afghanistan
The program’s general objective is to contribute to reduce the protection and health risks of hard-to-reach conflict-affected communities. The proposed program aims at improving access to integrated protection, primary health care (including sexual and reproductive health care) and nutrition services in the conflict affected areas of Maywand, Shahwalikot and Spinboldak Districts of Kandahar Province and Qalat and Shahjoy Districts of Zabul Province. Activities include: Running of three Protection Centers within health facilities and of a protection unit within a Mobile Health Team Case management and psychosocial response Protection Monitoring at community and individual level 8/4/2021 IMP (INTERSOS Management Platform) https://intersos.knack.com/imp#manage-staff-requests/tor/60a60d964251e7001edb700d/tor-en2/60a60d964251e7001edb700d/ 2/5 Support the outreach of health services in hard-to-reach white areas Running a reproductive health room and a IYCF corner inside Qalat Provincial Hospital Malnutrition screening and SAM treatment Training of staff and CHWs on protection (GBV and child protection), Health (BEMoNC, CMR, STI, etc) and Nutrition (MAM, CMAM) Awareness campaign on protection, hygiene, nutrition, child health, health care, COVID-19.
General purpose of the position
In collaboration with the Protection Unit and the Medical Unit, provide technical guidance and support to MHPSS staff (both medical and protection staff) ensuring the different components of the programme are delivered according to internal guidelines and in line with international standards and principles, according to INTERSOS vision and values.
He/she is the technical focal point to provide appropriate and timely technical guidance to Afghanistan INTERSOS mission including capacity building, development of guidance notes/tools, and developing MHPSS strategies.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Support to the programme:
Lead efforts to provide guidance and support to field programmes in Afghanistan (both on-site and remote assistance) that will result in development and implementation of high-quality MHPSS programmes and strategies that make a measurable impact. In particular:
● Provide mhgap training to health personnel and, if necessary, build additional training materials for MHPSS component according to National policy and international standards to support the training of health staff in Afghanistan to raise their capacity in responding to MHPSS issues;
● Supervise the MHPSS Specialist and develop tools to support the monitoring and supervision of Psychologists and ensure proper standards are followed in PSS service delivery;
● Train, together with the MHPSS Specialist, the PSS counselors and provide on-job mentoring, specially for identification and referral of cases that need specialized services.
● Supervise the MHPSS Specialist and participate in the Afghan MHPSS TWG and share best practices and lessons learnt;
● Support and supervise the coordination between the focused non-specialized PSS intervention with the Individual Case Management;
● Increase and enhance MHPSS programme monitoring and evaluation, and determining impact, wherever possible, including the use of standard indicators.
Development and quality control
● In coordination with the Protection Unit, actively participate in the PSS Working Group and collaborate to the development of harmonized tools and guidelines about Psychosocial Support.
Required profile and experience
● BA Psychology
● Desirable Master degree (MA or LLM) in Psychology or related subjects
Minimum of five years of relevant working experience in MHPSS-related sectors, preferably within an INGO
● Strong theoretical, technical and practical background in MHPSS
Experience in complex emergency setting involving internal displacements
● Reporting skills, experience with monitoring tools and systems, data collection and analysis
● Excellent computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
● Fluency in English**
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team
● Ability to work under pressure, flexibility
● Problem solver, dynamic, mature, proactive
● Diplomatic skills in networking with partners, authorities, and donors