INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
General purpose of the position
The Medical Doctor ensures medical activities for patients and/or target population are planned and implemented in accordance with the project profile, context, INTERSOS protocols, strategy and to universal hygiene standards taking into consideration quality and continuity of care. The role further ensures the supervision and training of medical staff .
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
· Applies medical knowledge and skills in carrying out inpatient and outpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment, respecting protocols and professional confidentiality.
· Carries out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration) and share vital health updates with family members.
· Verifies and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material.
· Ensures all infection prevention control protocols are implemented and adhere to general compliance on standing hygiene standards
· Ensures adherence to appropriate triage system where patients are consulted and prioritized according to their needs.
· Supervisees the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitor the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material
· Provides technical support to the health staff working on the field
· Ensures ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care
· Manages the team under his/her direct responsibility according to INTERSOS HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance
· Ensures the good collaboration with other departments and external stakeholders
· Bachelor’s university degree in medicine.
· Minimum 3 years post qualifying experience with at least 1-year work experience as clinician in a Humanitarian/emergency context
· Previous experience in nutritional projects desired.
· Local language knowledge desirable- Hausa, Kanuri and English
· Good management of stress and willing to work in a volatile context.
· Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
· Teamwork, commitment, cooperation and Behavioral flexibility