The United Nations Development Program offered to the Commission of the Lake Chad Basin in 2018 to support the development of the Regional Strategy on Stabilization (adopted in May 2018) and to support its implementation. In this regard a Regional Stabilization Facility Program had been drafted by UNDP experts and had been launched officially in August 2019 at the Governor’s Forum in Niamey. Each country of the Lake Chad Basin has drafted its national Window to implement the Regional Facility.
Since 2015 in the Far North of Cameroon, the United Nations Development Program with various donors, Japan, Germany, Sweden, the European Union… has prioritized Early Recovery and the stabilization interventions in the communities affected by the Boko Haram crisis.
UNDP Cameroon held the steering Committee of the National Window of the Regional Facility on the 7th October 2019 and it started to implement this project since this time. This project targets three objectives:
- Maintain a minimum level of security in the intervention zones
- Respond to urgent needs in basic infrastructure and social services
- Provide immediate opportunities for access to sustainable livelihoods
The achievement of these objectives obeys Three main principles:
- Provide a different delivery model
- Change radically the scale and nature of field interventions
- The simultaneous coverage of a series of zones (in the 4 countries) in agreement with the civil and military authorities.
The implementation of the National Stabilization Window’s objectives as declined above needs a strong M&E/Reporting Expert dedicated to support the Head of Stabilization Unit for the application of UNDP guidelines for monitoring and evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head of Stabilization Unit and in close cooperation with both Stabilization project staff and UNDP Program - Operations units, the M&E/Reporting Expert will be responsible for the following results:
- M&E policies and strategies for the regional stabilization facility are implemented according to UNDP guidelines.
- Surveys for baselines and result indicators are conducted and analyzed.
- High quality reports for donors and concept notes for resource mobilization are drafted.
In order to achieve his or her results, he or she will be specifically responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the design and implementation of outcome monitoring in accordance with donor’s guidelines.
- Prepare terms of engagement for M&E missions at outcome level or at strategic program level to be undertaken by third parties.
- Support in identifying, hiring & supervision of evaluation experts and provide substantive analysis & input to the exercise.
- Ensure the collection of basic indicators for project monitoring.
- Ensure periodic updating of the monitoring and evaluation plan and make proposals for corrective actions to be taken.
- Support the development of specific communication tools needed for partnership and resource mobilization.
- Participate in the development of specific donor-driven fundraising strategies and approaches.
- Produce high quality concept notes and proposal to donors.
- Preparing minutes of meetings with national partners and other key stakeholders.
- Producing analytical notes as required.
- Perform any other duties that the Head of Stabilization Unit would assign as needed.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to general administration support Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
• At least, a Master’s degree in social sciences or International Relations, Political Science, Economics or related social sciences with 2 years of relevant work experience in M&E or Reporting
• First level university degree in Social Science, or other relevant discipline with at least 4 additional years of relevant experience in M&E or Reporting will be accepted in lieu of the Master degree.
• At least 5 years of relevant professional work experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation
• Field experience is required, preferably in post-conflict countries
• Substantive knowledge in development issues in general and UN’s practice areas is desirable. Strong substantive knowledge of monitoring and evaluation tools is required, in particular results-based management
• Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation, familiarity with project execution rules and regulations are desirable
- Strong written and spoken English skills and fluency in French are required
- Knowledge of some local languages will be an asset (Fulfulde, Arabe, etc…)
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Contract Duration: 6 months