Expertise Fraace recruits 4 long term experts :
- 1 expert embedded to the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Arusha, TANZANIA)
- 1 expert embedded to the Pan-African Parliament (Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA)
- 1 expert embedded to the African Commission on Humans and People’s Rights (Banjul, GAMBIA)
- 1 expert embedded to the African Peer Review Mechanism (Midrand, SOUTH AFRICA)
Under the responsibility of Expertise France, the role of the Long-Term Expert will be to support and strengthen the capacity of the AGA member to which s/he is assigned:
- Support the preparation of member-specific EU Grant Request: orientations, objectives and strategy
- Support the finalisation of member-specific Annual Programme of Activities: technical assistance needs assessment, design and drafting of related activities, contribution to the implementation of activities, including monitoring & evaluation.
- Provide expertise in the following fields:
- Coordination, synergy, complementary actions between AGA members and with other institutions: formal/informal linkages between members and national governance institutions, joint initiatives between AGA members, coordination meetings & events etc.
- Support each AGA member in the clarification of its mandate, role, objectives, procedures and organisational framework
- Support the capacity of each AGA member and AU Member States (MS) in implementing AU governance and human rights norms, standards and decisions
- Support each AGA member and AU MS in alignment of national regulations with the AGA legislative framework
- Help build capacity to raise African citizens’ awareness of each AGA member’s mandate, role and activities: promote participation of CSOs, NGOs and political parties in relevant activities,
- election observation , election process and communication
- Assist each AGA member in providing public and transparent information on its mandate, role and activities: communication, dissemination of strategies, documents/decisions, etc.
- Support capacities of each AGA member in overall management: human resources, financial, monitoring and evaluation, technical etc.
- Prepare guidelines and recommendations for all relevant activities
- Swiftly identify implementation problems and corresponding solutions
- Maintain regular coordination with Project Management team at Expertise France
- Supervise Short-Term Experts missions: terms of reference, mobilization, quality of output etc.
- Overall TA implementation: seminars/workshops, training, peer-to-peer exchange and study visits
- Contractual reporting: inception, quarterly progress reports and final reports (narrative/financial).
Technical Assistance (TA) to the African Governance Architecture Support Project (AGA-SP) will focus on the strengthening of the following AGA members**:** the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the Pan-African Parliament, the African Peer Review Mechanism and the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child.
Other members such as the African Union Advisory Board on Corruption, the African Union Commission, ECOSOCC & CIDO etc., are also involved in the project in order to enhance coordination and efficiency.
The project’s 4 specific objectives are:
To support the members in implementing norms, standards, decisions and recommendations of AGA Platform members and complied with by AU Member States: promotion and dissemination, ratification, domestication and implementation of AU Shared Values instruments
To enhance engagement of African citizens with AGA Platform members : access to national, regional and continental human rights institutions, African citizens’ awareness about AGA organs mandate and activities
To enhance synergy, coordination and complementarity amongst AGA Platform members and with other relevant actors (CSO, Regional institutions)
To strengthen effective and efficient management of AGA organs: improve human resource management, financial resources management, monitoring, evaluation, etc...
EXPERT PROFILE :
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in law, economics, public administration, political science, international relations or other domains relevant to the Project
- Excellent organizational, communication, analytical and writing skills
- Proficiency in English and French
- Fluency in a regional African language would be welcome
- Excellent computer literacy
General professional experience
- At least 8 years of experience in the development and implementation of institutional strengthening and capacity development programmes, including the mobilisation of short-term experts
- At least 8 years of experience working for or with international administrations, organisations, institutions (preferably in Africa)
- At least 8 years of experience in implementing international administration/organisation reforms and transformation plan (preferably in Africa)
- Experience of policy formulation and legal instruments development
- Very good knowledge of Law: human rights, international law, public law
- Very good knowledge of CSO/NGOs: dialogue with MS, sensitization, communication, media etc.
- Very good knowledge of institutional coordination with international institutions, administrative procedures of international institutions, human resource management, designing of legal and organisational framework (preferably within the AU)
- Sound knowledge of reform methodologies, of issues related to intra and inter-institutional governance mechanisms, coordination, administrative procedures and organisation
Specific professional experience
- At least 8 years of experience in one or several of the 3 domains:
- Human Rights : HR assessment and analysis, Rule of Law, international law, democracy, advocacy; field work with HR CSOs/NGOs; or
- Institutional Coordination : inter-institutional coordination, organisational and legal framework; improvement and rationalisation of procedures; Clarification of role and mandate of organs/organisations , Human resources management; or
- CSOs and NGOs environment :raising awareness, dialogue between civil society and Government, advocacy, sensitization, communication campaign, election process and observation, media)
- At least 5 years of experience of implementing EU-funded technical cooperation projects
- At least 5 years of experience in communication and advocacy, consultation processes (such as long-term election observation missions), dissemination of documents, access to information, visibility
- Excellent knowledge of the African Union organs (strategy, policies, activities, coordination etc.)
- Experience and/or knowledge of the African Union administration would be a strong asset
- Good knowledge of of African international policy and cooperation
- Experience of multicultural projects and intercultural communication.