OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to help countries, and coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION In the context of the WHO Health Emergencies Preparedness and Response (EPR), at the hub level, the Logistics Assistant will provide well-rounded logistics and operations support services, this includes the transport, customs clearance, delivery, storage, and management of material assets for the emergency preparedness, recovery, and response activities; support the establishment of functional offices, housing and storage facilities at regional level as required.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES Within the Hub, the Logistics Assistant will report to the Operations Support and Logistics Officer (1st level supervisor) under the overall guidance of the Regional Operations and Logistics Support Lead, who will also be the 2nd level supervisor. The incumbent is expected to provide well-rounded logistics and operations support services.
Within the framework of the delegated authority, the incumbent is assigned all or part of the following duties which are performed according to the needs and agenda:
- Coordinate the supply and distribution/delivery of international shipments; monitor and assess quality, quantity, and safety of the received goods; oversee clearance and proper storage of goods and initiate duty exemption requests.
- Schedule and monitor deliveries by suppliers, clearing agents, and the organization's warehouses. Establish and maintain regular contacts with clearing and forwarding agents, customs, UN Agencies, NGOs, and Government authorities.
- Follow up and ensure that goods are promptly delivered to the right recipients, and that appropriate receipts are received.
- Monitor ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and other data, brief supervisors of any unforeseen problems pertaining to discharge, clearing operations, deliveries, etc., and recommend solutions / corrective actions.
- Prepare monthly and ad hoc reports on regional logistic activities, including fixed assets, facilities maintenance, and movement of stocks, office consumables, and office equipment.
- Prepare monthly inventory report with indicative analysis giving recommendations on the need for replacement and/or purchase of additional equipment.
- Provide logistics support for upcoming logistics requirements as may be required.
- Maintain an up-to-date record of all - fixed assets and attractive items.
- Generate annual fixed assets movement cards based on the WHO e-manual XIII.
- Support the management of the office premises and furniture and arrange repair/maintenance when required.
- Perform other related duties as required or instructed, including providing support to other areas of work.
- Performs any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Essential: Completion of secondary education supplemented by training in the field of Logistics and Supply
Desirable: University degree in business administration, logistics management or related field is an asset.
Essential: At least ten (10) years working experience in operations and logistics with a complex and diverse work environment, preferably an international organization.
- Experience in administrative support positions in WHO or another UN agency is an asset.
- Experience in Oracle-based or other ERP systems an asset.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement inputs from several sources.
- To express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- To conceptualize and carry out tasks with little supervision.
- Very good understanding of operations and logistics in a complex work environment.
- Excellent knowledge of fixed asset management and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences.
- Producing results.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources.
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of French.