- Perform technical laboratory functions including chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, stool exam and immunology;
- Report test results following clinic protocols alerting providers and/or nurses about abnormal results;
- Ensure to apply international standards in collecting specimens;
- Ensure appropriate sampling and maintain accurate record keeping of results and materials;
- Maintain (preventive) laboratory equipment and supplies;
- Set up, maintain, calibrate, clean, and test functionality of medical laboratory equipment;
- Comply with all laboratory policies and OSHA regulations related to safety, cleanliness and infection control;
- Ensure following of SOPs, Job Aids and Policies of each test;
- Serve as a back-up to the Lab Manager as needed;
- Perform all other duties as assigned;
- Check all consumable reagents and sample collection materials and order timely.
- Environmentally controlled laboratory environment;
- Fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations;
- Frequent exposure to bodily fluids;
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases;
- May wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as gloves or mask;
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members, providers, patients, insurance companies and other members of the public.
- Frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying and speaking;
- Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping;
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed;
- Frequent use of computer, keyboard, copy and fax machine and phone Work involves standard office setting, with ability to operate laboratory equipment.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of clinical, occupational and tropical laboratory techniques. Knowledge of quality control ISO certification in laboratory services. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for decisions made during the dispensation of his or her duties.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; be willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Confidentiality – Maintain patient, team member and employer confidentiality. Comply with all international regulations;
- Customer Service Oriented – Friendly, cheerful and helpful to patients and others. Ability to meet patients and others needs while following office policies and procedures;
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task;
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt easily to changing conditions and work responsibility;
- Communication – Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of medical laboratory principles, standards, applications and tests;
- Knowledge of medical laboratory safety, cleanliness and infection control policies and regulations;
- Knowledge of medical laboratory equipment uses and preventive maintenances;
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly;
- Computer Skills – Proficient ability to use a computer and electronic medical record.
- B.Sc. Degree or College diploma in medical laboratory technology.
- Six years of work experience in a well-organized laboratory (two years with B.SC. Degree).
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year with a possibility of extension