UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
The Communications Intern will work in close collaboration with the Communications Associate in supporting the Resident Representative Office, Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and staff of other UN agencies to exchange information and support to the implementation of One Voice and Delivery as One approach.
UNDP is looking for an individual who has the communication, analytical, planning and implementation capacities that can address links, choices and connections across many issues and sectors. We seek individuals who can apply global best practice to national contexts. We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, motivated, and committed to making a positive contribution to Development in Namibia.
The Intern will:
- Play an active role in sharing new content with staff and partners.
- Design and produce cutting-edge content to highlight campaigns, promote events events, and enrich office reports.
- With support from the Communications Associate, develop infographics to illustrate web and social media content.
- Support the Communications Associate to manage social media platforms including creating content, content dissemination and monthly audits.
- Draft and review speeches delivered by Senior Management.
- Prepare media advisories and press releases
- Ensure high visibility of UNDP’s work through effective and innovative communication using multimedia.
- Maintain close contact with local media representatives, and provide support to building partnership with the media.
- Build and maintain good public relations and establish a strong rapport with the private sector and other national institutions.
- Conduct tasks related to the administration of daily operations of the Communications Unit and Resident Representative’s Office.
- Able to take initiative and work independently, with minimum supervision,
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty,
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, communication and administrative skills,
- Proven ability to manage diverse and complex tasks, with tight deadlines,
- Commitment to the UNDP vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Knowledge of computer systems and word packages
- Speaks and writes English clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience.
- Works collaboratively with team to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing ideas from others; is willing to learn from others.
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a graduate and post-graduate academic programme; or
- Have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a post-graduate programme or equivalent studies.
- Field of study: Communications, Journalism and Media Studies would be an advantage.
- No work experience necessary but must be eager and proactive.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, managing social media platforms and design software such as Adobe suite.
- Fluency in English required.
V. INTERNSHIP CONDITIONS
- UNDP will provide a stipend in the amount of N$3,588.56 monthly in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP Internship policy. All expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern or her/his sponsoring entity.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship.
- Interns are responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed.
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship.
- Interns must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan.
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
- Interns are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for education programmes.
- Interns need to obtain financing for subsistence and make own arrangements for internship, travel, accommodation, etc.
Contract Duration: 6 MONTHS