Please note that this is a consultancy assignment of a temporary nature, with an expected duration of approximately 6 months.
Please note that the assignment requires physical presence at OSCE headquarters in Vienna during the duration of the consultancy.
The OSCE has a comprehensive approach to security that encompasses politico-military, economic and environmental, and human aspects. It therefore addresses a wide range of security-related concerns, including arms control, confidence- and security-building measures, human rights, combating human trafficking, national minorities, democratization, policing strategies, counter-terrorism and economic and environmental activities. All 57 participating States enjoy equal status, and decisions are taken by consensus on a politically, but not legally binding basis.
The OSCE Secretariat in Vienna assists the Chairpersonship in its activities, and provides operational and administrative support to the field operations, and, as appropriate, to other institutions.
The Communications and Media Relations Section (COMMS) supports and advises the Secretary General and the OSCE Chairpersonship on their media and public relations activities and informs the public about the work of the OSCE. COMMS also serves as the focal point for public statements from OSCE Institutions and Field Operations. COMMS produces and disseminates press releases, information materials and regular publications, maintains the public website and the Organization’s social media presence and promotes the OSCE’s values, principles and work.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the Secretariat, please see: http://www.osce.org/secretariat
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Communication and Media Relations, the Consultant will compile and edit the OSCE Annual Report 2022. More specifically, he/she will be tasked with:Liaising closely with all relevant OSCE executive structures and focal points, in order to present the results of the previous year’s work programme in a clear and effective manner to an intelligent lay audience; Throughout the process, following and maintaining the timetable and project plan established in previous years, covering the following elements:
- Preparatory work to create a clear picture for all involved as to expectations and deadlines;
- Early contacts with all offices to identify key elements for the report; continued liaison to ensure texts and other elements are of high quality in terms of style and accurate in terms of content;
- Editing texts and identifying graphic elements (photographs, infographics);
- Soliciting and incorporating feedback from participating States, missions, institutions and Secretariat members;
- Collaborating on Terms of Reference for a designer, proofreader and printer;
- Identifying a designer and working with him/her on the English and Russian layout to ensure deliverables and milestones are met;
- Identifying a proofreader for both the English and Russian versions;
- Ensuring texts are properly proofread;
- Overseeing the printing process to ensure quality and timing.Finalizing the OSCE Annual Report by the end of March 2023; Co-ordinating online publication by the end of April 2023; Organizing any potential translations and co-ordinating the layout.
• First-level university degree in journalism, international relations or related field in the humanities or social sciences, combined with several years of experience in journalism and planning, editing and producing publications, especially magazines and newsletters;
• Minimum of six years of professional experience in editing and packaging media products for a broad audience, preferably in an international, multi-cultural environment;
• Superior organization skills, and ability to establish and maintain excellent working relations with all stakeholders;
• Ability to write convincingly and informally, with a minimum of institutional jargon and to express complex ideas simply;
• Excellent journalistic writing and editing skills in English; knowledge of other OSCE working languages, Russian in particular, would be an asset;
• Thorough knowledge of the OSCE (activities, structure and history) and its terminology is desired;
• Knowledge of standard editing software applications; layout, design and web publishing would be an asset;
• Experience in preparing content for online publication; experience in preparing and making presentations; background and experience in photography would be an asset;
• Demonstrated political judgement, analytical skills and ability to function in a deadline-driven environment;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively;
• Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds, whilst remaining impartial and objective
Remuneration will be based on the applicable fee scale that applies to the delivery of consultancy services by individual
contractors, and shall depend on the complexity of the tasks and deliverables.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies.
If you are not a national of a participating State, you must apply by submitting an offline application form which can be found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process. Additional InformationIssued by: OSCE Secretariat Requisition ID: COM000024 Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant Grade: No grade Job Type: Consultant Number of posts: 1 Location: OSCE Secretariat, Vienna Issue Date: Aug 17, 2022 Closing Date: Aug 31, 2022 Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)