At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The Freeman Chair in China Studies at CSIS is seeking a part-time intern who can provide dedicated support for research on China’s domestic political system and foreign policy during the period from September 5, 2023, to December 15, 2023.We consider in-person, virtual, or hybrid candidates.
The hired candidate will be paid hourly, commensurate with experience ($17.00/hour for current undergraduate hires, $18.00/hour for hires with a bachelor’s degree, and $19.00/hour for hires with a master’s degree).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assisting in research, analysis, and writing for articles, event summaries, outreach and promotion, and other projects as dictated by program needs
• Review Chinese-English translations for accuracy and precision
• Monitoring Chinese language media sources and reports
• Performing a variety of other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Current undergraduate seniors, graduate students, and recent graduates. Applicants that are currently enrolled in or have recently completed a master’s degree are preferred.
• Must be eligible to work in the United States
• Must have superior research, analysis, and writing skills
• Must demonstrate academic/professional background in Chinese domestic politics
• Must have advanced Chinese language reading and research skills
• Must have a proactive work ethic, positive attitude, and superior communication and interpersonal skills
• Must have the ability to manage competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines
• Prior working or study experience in China is preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. This job can be fully remote, fully onsite, or hybrid.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply at https://careers.csis.org/ by no later than August 11, 2023. All applicants must submit the following in one PDF document:
1. Resume/CV (one page).
2. Cover letter.
3. A short (no more than 3 pages) and complete writing sample related to Chinese domestic politics or foreign policy.
4. A list of 2 references (including reference’s name, title, affiliation, email address, and phone number).
Should you have any inquiries about the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.