The Regional Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights for Southern Africa (ROSA) based in Pretoria, South Africa, was established in 1998 as the first OHCHR regional office following the Secretary-General’s 1997 reform agenda on mainstreaming human rights. It has since evolved with a mandate to deliver technical assistance on the promotion and protection of human rights in 14 countries in the region including Mozambique. As part of its ongoing work to support promotional activities around human rights in Mozambique, OHCHR is seeking to hire an information management and communications specialist in Maputo to support the office and partners in knowledge management, data tracking and dissemination and advocacy campaigns on human rights. This work will be geared in particular to supporting in the response of human rights community to COVID-19 pandemic and its impacts.
Under the supervision of the ROSA Mozambique Coordinator, the information management and communications officer will work in close collaboration with national partners such as the national human rights commission as well as the UN Human Rights Joint Team and the humanitarian protection cluster in the following activities:
- Help develop and maintain information sharing/management platforms and document repositories;
- Support development and maintenance of relevant 4W databases, and related IM products including data tracking sheets;
- Identify the communication and knowledge management needs of partners and suggest appropriate tools/services to use;
- Collect proactively from partners , organizations and actors – including state actors – at global and national level relevant information on human rights in Mozambique, and in particular on responses to COVID-19 in both English and Portuguese;
- Develop draft reports, bulletins or other forms of communication materials from diverse material provided by programme staff so as to facilitate knowledge sharing with partners on human rights;
- Support design and roll-out of communications and advocacy activities using various platforms including social media;
- Support documentation of meetings, workshops and conferences as a rapporteur and/or editor;
- Perform other related duties as required and as may be requested by the Office Coordinator.
- Cross Cultural Impact: Ability to adapt personal style, manners, and communication to accommodate various cultures. Able to modify methods based on an understanding of the local business customs and practices and be able to find solution in case of misunderstanding.
- Result Orientation: Ability to works independently with strong sense of initiative, discipline and self-motivation and takes responsibility for fulfilling goals.
- Team Work and Cooperation: Ability to work effectively and smoothly across teams with intercultural sensitivity and take actions to build a cohesive work climate in which all members are included.
- Analytical Thinking: Ability to analyse data, to bring different viewpoints into the decision making process and to sets priorities among competing interests.
- Networking/Stakeholder Management: Ability to maintain existing linkages and effectively communicate with stakeholders and other external parties on different levels.
- Impactful Communication: Ability to present and discuss ideas effectively within the team along with demonstrated active listening skills.
- Continuous Improvement and Innovation: Ability to implement new technologies and approaches and present opportunities while making improvements in own work area. Able Questions status quo practices/traditions and assumptions.
Education: University degree or equivalent qualification, preferably in a field or disciplines relevant to the position, i.e., communications, journalism, information technology, information systems.
Education in areas such as law and political science are desirable together with relevant work experience and skills.
Experience: Minimum 4 years of relevant experience in the areas of communication/journalism and/or knowledge management, information technology, information systems.
- Excellent command of data storage and information management required
- Strong knowledge of spreadsheets and databases (MS Excel and MS Access) or other databases
- Experience working with communications and advocacy campaign, particularly on human rights desirable.
- Ability to present information in the form of tables, charts and diagrams easily comprehensible and/or diagramming/formatting communication materials desirable
- Knowledge of web and social media platforms desirable
- Knowledge of GIS systems and ability to collect and organize the data needed to produce maps desirable
Language: Excellent Portuguese language, both orally and in writing. Minimum intermediate knowledge of oral and written English.
OHCHR seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 6 Months with possibility of extension