ICT and Data Systems Management Specialist
USAID Esho Shikhi Activity
RTI International is a nonprofit research institute, founded in 1958. In its 62 years, RTI has engaged in cutting-edge initiatives with multilateral donors, leading research universities, and foundations; served as a trusted partner to government agencies globally; and given evidence-based insights to a wide range of stakeholders. The Institute has implemented more than 12,000 international development projects in over 155 countries. With more than 25 years of experience, RTI’s International Education team has implemented 27 research-based early learning interventions in 14 countries and education research in more than 50 countries.
RTI is a consortium partner on the USAID Esho Shikhi Activity, a 5-year Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract awarded in February 2021. The Activity will be implemented in eight (8) Divisions, fifteen (15) Districts and eighty (80) Upazilas, targeting 10,000 schools and 20,000 teachers from Grade 1 and Grade 2 in Bangladesh. The objective of Esho Shikhi is to improve the learning outcomes of marginalized Bangladeshi children in crisis-affected, marginalized communities by achieving the following results:
- Result 1: Learning Opportunities Increased
- Result 2: Enhanced Teaching Quality and Teaching Learning Materials to Improve the Quality of Education in Selected Subjects
- Result 3: Capacity of Field Level Mentors Strengthened to Deliver Quality Education
- Result 4: School Communities’ Ability to Mitigate and Manage the Effects of Shocks and Stressors on Education Access and Quality Improved
RTI will recruit an ICT and Data Systems Management Specialist to support the development of the classroom observation mentoring approach for education officials and Head Teachers to monitor and support teachers with Bangla instruction. The ICT and Data Systems Management Specialist will be positioned within the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, Learning, and Adapting (MERLA) team and will liaison with RTI home office technical experts on efforts that integrate digital tools and platforms to strengthen mentors to support delivery of quality education in Bangladesh. This will include piloting a mechanism for delivering ongoing support to teachers in the classroom. This position will also support MERLA team efforts by contributing to indicators, guidelines, and feedback mechanisms for classroom observation of Bangla instruction.
RTI will recruit an ICT and Data Systems Management Specialist. This individual will assist in a range of technical tasks needed to successfully integrate technology-supported learning delivery systems and data. All tasks will be conducted under the supervision of the MERLA director and in close collaboration RTI home office technical staff, Esho Shikhi consortium partners, and government counterparts.
- Support identifying and reviewing existing software for digital classroom observation, mentoring feedback, and reporting
- Contribute to the design and piloting of digital mentoring observation tools including local user testing of these tools and refining of tools
- Support planning of setup/rollout of tools for teacher mentoring, support, and routine data collection (incl., indicators, guidelines, feedback mechanisms, data collection, and visualizations)
- Lead the unpacking, inventorying, and preparation of tablets for ministry staff, teacher coaches, and other users as applicable.
- Lead the development of practical user manuals for digital classroom observation and teacher mentoring/feedback tools
- Support the development of training materials and training efforts that will orient education officials and Head Teachers on use of tools for classroom observation and mentoring/feedback
- Support the development of locally appropriate tablet usage guidelines for government staff, teacher coaches, and other users as applicable.
- Lead the set up and maintenance of a local helpline system for government staff and teacher coaches using digital tools
- Document and report on work progress on a regular basis.
- Use data to support identification of lessons learned and document and disseminate successful approaches for scaled up and determining/applying mid-course corrections
- Use data to support discussions related to project learnings, successes, and challenges during bi-annual meetings with government officials and with relevant school communities at the local level
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree and 5 years of experience, Master's degree and 3 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must reside and have work authorization in Bangladesh
- Fluency in Bangla as well as excellent communication and writing skills in English
- At least 5 years of experience with a range of digital platforms for instructional design, communications, and data visualization
- Experience conducting research related to education and technology.
- Strong level of comfort with digital platforms for communication and information dissemination; willingness to try new approaches and learn new software programs
- Experience working with education government officials at national and subnational levels and familiarity with/understanding of government processes a plus
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and facilitate collaborative learning.
- Proficiency in common productivity software (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point, SPSS, MS- Access, email)
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Willingness to travel to remote and rural area of Bangladesh
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above.