Action Against Hunger is an international non-governmental, private, apolitical, non-religious and non-profit organization created in 1979. Its goal is to combat hunger and dangerous situations that threaten men, women and children. Currently 500 expats and more than 5,000 employees are working for Action Against Hunger in more than forty-six countries working in projects concerning four areas of focus: Nutrition & Health, Food Security & Livelihoods, Water Sanitation & Hygiene and Emergency Response.
DEPARTMENT GENERAL OBJECTIVES
The objective of the Operations Department is to provide an agile and quality response to vulnerable populations, as well as to affect the root causes of their vulnerability and the policies, through analysis and mobilization of public opinion, donors and politicians.
The department leads the response to new challenges in the fight against hunger by adapting its response (strategic approaches, emergency responses, management etc.) to new contexts, enhancing synergies with other departments, headquarters and with complementary actors.
The macro objectives of the Operations Department are:
- Improve access in conflict-affected countries to allow adequate provision of services to beneficiaries, with better risk management and control.
- More effective interventions, with structures adapted to the local context and in line with the international strategy.
- Increase long-term and lasting solutions against hunger.
Within the Operations Department, the Emergency Pool team objectives are:
- Emergency response in case of sudden crises or slow tract.
- Support for the design of emergency proposals using emergency funds.
- Disaster preparedness (design and implementation of response plans).
- Analysis and exploration of new countries and / or intervention contexts.
- Creation of tools and emergency training.
- Technical support for missions (according to terms of reference).
Las principales actividades que desempeñaras son las siguientes:
GENERAL POSITION OBJECTIVE
Ensure ACH as a key organization in emergency responses through:
- Promoting, supporting and guiding the work of the organization in emergency response related themes.
- Leading the emergency pool, mobilizing and optimizing the allocation and use of all its human, financial and logistic resources in order to meet the objectives.
- Ensure the maximum impact of our interventions and emergency strategy, in accordance with our objectives.
SPECIFIC POSITION OBJECTIVES
Goal 1: Strategic organizational and departmental development:
- Collaborate to the definition of the organizational and departmental strategy.
- Coordinate and support the definition, application and monitoring of emergency response interventions of each mission within the framework of large management macro-processes.
- Ensure the dissemination of strategic emergency information.
- Promote innovative strategic approaches (exploratory missions and mission openings) as well as transversal approaches (environment, partners, gender or rights).
- Promote and support regional approaches in coordination with the corresponding Country Directors.
- Monitor the contextual and humanitarian evolution of emergencies in time of disaster risks, with the geographical desk, if we have a mission.
- Contribute to better emergency management and strategic emergency guidelines in the ACF network.
- Ensure the analysis and prioritization of international humanitarian crises through continuous coordination with the international network.
Goal 2: Management of resources allocated to the emergency team
- Management of the financial, human and logistic resources of emergency agreements and contracts.
- Identify new financing and sustainability modalities for emergency approaches.
- Ensure a fluid and efficient communication and coordination (geographical Desk Officer and key people).
- Supervise the safety management of pool members and/or follow-up of safety plans and protocols.
- Coordinate and ensure coherence, coordination and prioritization among emergency interventions.
- Supervise the global management of contingency and disaster preparedness plans.
- Support the general training programs for Action Against Hunger from the perspective of emergencies.
- Responsible for facilitating the training and guidance of emergency referents in missions and pool members.
- Participation in the selection and final validation of emergency personnel positions.
- Preparation of briefings and debriefings of all the persons designated in their emergency actions, contributing to the capitalization of information.
- Responsible for the quality management and supervision of proposals and reports.
- Communication of external and internal emergency information, at headquarters and in the mission, and with those responsible at other ACFIN headquarters.
Goal 3: Institutional Representation
- Promote effective coordination, positioning and representation within the ACF network, especially with teams and emergency managers from other locations.
- Interact with national and international emergency actors and donors.
- Support communication and press activities to their assigned interventions and spokesperson before the media.
- Representation of Action Against Hunger in national and international forums within its competence
Esta descripción encaja contigo?
- Training related to the Political Science, Law, sociology field (or similar). Master or Specialization in Humanitarian Action and / or Emergencies.
- Knowledge of the Humanitarian Aid environment (and Development Cooperation), with extensive experience in the field and of the donor universe (objectives, strategies and practices).
- Knowledge of financing of interventions, emergency management, principles and practices of advocacy.
- Knowledge of the different coordination and humanitarian response mechanisms both at the level of ONGIs, UN Agencies, etc.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian reform; operation of humanitarian coordination platforms; follow-up to the commitments of the World Humanitarian Summit (WHS); 2030 Agenda; Sphere Standard; Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS).
- Desirable knowledge and previous experience in integrating the gender approach in emergencies.
- Minimum experience of 3 years as Country Director or Emergency Manager; in major humanitarian crises, in disaster preparedness and emergency monitoring cycle.
- Languages: Spanish, English and French
- Knowledge of data collection platforms (ODK, KOBO, etc.), statistical analysis tools (SPHINX, SPSS, etc.), data analysis tools (PowerBI).
- Position based on the headquarters of Action Against Hunger in Madrid with a high degree of mobility: availability to move to land in 24-48h without prior notice. Physical and psychological resistance necessary. Deployment of up to 2 months on the ground. Possibility of ‘gap-filling’ of high profiles (DP) and participation in field missions (exploratory, emergency response). Ratio of presence on the ground: desirable around 40-50% but may be higher.
- Valuable commitment to Gender Equality through previous experience in issues related to the promotion of gender equality or personal commitment to gender equality.
- Contract: 2 years.