Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Support Services (HOSS) for its operations in Sudan. DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004 working across 4 area offices covering both immediate humanitarian needs but also engages in longer term development activities. The Head of Support Services is operationally and strategically responsible for Finance, Human Resources, Logistics and Procurement (supply chain department), Administration and IT. S/He provides guidance and support for all operational aspects of partnership, and oversees, develops and provides strategic direction to his/her support areas.
About the job
You will be a member of the Senior Management Team, with overall responsibility of program support and timely completion of annual performance indicators under support functions. You will also play a significant part in qualifying and implementing initiatives coming from the global and regional DRC organisational development and financial accountability initiatives. Furthermore, you will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Area Managers, the Head of Programme and Project Managers concerning all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manage the Support Managers (Finance Manager, HR/Admin Manager and Supply Chain Manager) and provide technical support to Base Managers (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Manage, deliver and report on current operations programme support in geographic scope, including for example, that budget review meetings are taking place, that SMT is presented regular financial reports etc.
- Establish high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Programme operates in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines.
- Ensure that the Country Master Budget is updated on a monthly basis and is used to adequately prepare project proposals or cost cutting measures.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the operational support units for the Country by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under his/her supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support area.
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport system
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure ERP functionality is properly used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
The Head of Support Services is expected to have senior level management experience and a demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and resource mobilization, be able to conceptualize and articulate DRC’s vision, and have the strong oral and written communication skill required to translate vision into action. You will play a key role in developing and implementing country-specific strategies as well as improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of DRC’s mission. Moreover, we also expect the following: