Position Title: Head of Sub-Office
Duty Station: Multiple duty stations, Central African Republic
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 09 July 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), in close collaboration with Program Managers in IOM Central Africa Republic (CAR), the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for coordinating with internal stakeholders (Staff Security Unit (SSU), the Resources management Unit (RMU), etc.) and external partners on relevant matters related to the Sub Office management.
The successful candidate will supervise the sub-office’s staff, resources, and implementation of projects; implement appropriate safety and security management procedures that will effectively address staff safety and the protection of IOM assets at field office level, in coordination with the Procurement and Logistic Unit and under guidance of the Field Security Officer (FSO); and provide the CoM and the Programme Manager with information, briefings, and guidance on
implementation of sub-office activities in compliance with IOM rules and regulations, collaborating with the Resources Management Officer (RMO) as appropriate to ensure compliance.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Supervise all daily field activities implemented under projects in the greater Lake Chad region in close adherence to established work plans, and local IOM priorities.
Supervise all activities implemented within the area of responsibility, ensuring transparent accounting, communication, and administration to allocated funds, in coordination with relevant departments within RMU for any aspect related to compliance (finance, logistic & procurement).
Supervise all staff assigned to the field office, in coordination with the CoM, the RMO, and relevant program managers.
Supervise all budget matters related to the sub-office expenditure and regularly report to the RMO and the Finance Department.
Supervise and implement appropriate safety and security management procedures for the protection of IOM assets at the field office level, closely coordinating with SSU and Procurement and Logistic Unit.
Maintain and work to strengthen good relationships with partners, stakeholders, and communities within the area of responsibility.
Proactively flag any arising challenges to Project Manager(s) and proactively contribute to the development of solutions.
Ensure timely reporting and monitoring of all project activities in close adherence to established work plans, in close coordination with Project Manager(s) and the Programme Manager.
Monitor and follow up on implementing partner activities and progress.
Proactively support the identification of potential partners specifically for community grant realization and social cohesion activities.
Provide input to regular reporting, monitoring, and communication activities.
Organize monitoring visits for donors and Country Office management as required.
In coordination with the CoM and the Programme Manager, provide inputs for participation in regional coordination fora and representation of IOM in joint UN exercises as may be required.
Report any sudden changes to the overall prefecture migration dynamics and flag potential impact to Project Manager(s) and the CoM.
Prepare inputs for project development according to specific needs and situation analysis in accordance with IOM project development standards in close coordination with the CoM.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Psychology, Sociology, Medical Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Field experience in victim protection, direct assistance, counselling, case management and referral in crises settings;
• Project implementation and supervision experience at the field level; required;
• Experience in coordinating direct implementation with internal units/programmes/departments;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities, inter-governmental institutions, other national and international institutions, donors, and national and international NGOs;
• Experience in challenging hardship posts;
• Significant experience in application of rules and procedures concerning administration and procurement in a UN agency or an international organization;
• Experience in a government agency or United Nations, regional or international organization is an advantage;
• Experience with project development and donor liaison;
• Significant experience in reporting against donor’s requirements;
• Previous experience working within the cluster system is an advantage;
• Previous experience in the Central African Republic in field operations is an advantage.
• Knowledge of United Nations Department for Safety and Security (UNDSS) procedures an advantage;
• Ability to mentor supervisees and develop their capacities.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in French and working knowledge in English is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Duty stations will be: Central African Republic: Bangassou, Berberati, Kaga-Bandoro, and
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.