Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is looking for an Advocacy and Communication Associate who will support the work of the H2H Network and its funding platform for the H2H Network members.
The H2H Network consists of approximately 50 organisations that provide services to support humanitarian and emergency action. The network’s members offer specialist services, developed and available to all humanitarian responders, that address cross-cutting issues to help overall response be more effective, of higher quality, and more efficient. The H2H Network is supported by UK aid from the UK government and hosted by the Danish Refugee Council (DRC).
About the job
The position will be based in Geneva, Switzerland, and post holder will lead on the internal and external communications, visibility and advocacy. This new position is part of the network’s core team, which consists of the network’s coordinator, the fund activation advisor and the network development advisor, and the compliance and finance officer. This position will report to the H2H Network development advisor.
Main duties and responsibilities include implementation of the annual communications and advocacy plan by developing platforms for internal and external communications. Specifically, this will include:
Internal Network communication
- Manage the website, including feeds and updates, searchable database, and light maintenance
- Write and oversee internal Network monthly update
- Support annual report writing and donor reporting
- Write and develop external communication materials, including monthly newsletter, bulletins, press release, presentation folder, PowerPoint presentations
- Support in writing and producing materials for activations, deployments and after-action reviews (matrix 4Ws, flyer)
- Oversee the events calendar and manage the network’s annual involvement with HNP
- Assist network development adviser in building the advocacy plan
- Promote expansion of the network’s membership; build awareness of the benefits of membership
- Assist in advocating for the H2H Network and its fund, and support fundraising with other donors with a view to longer term sustainability of the platform
- Lead development of advocacy editorial, presentations and outreach materials
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the relevant experience as outlined below, be an energetic team player who will provide support to the team and secure timely coordination of the H2H platform communication.
Moreover, we expect the following:
- Studies related to communications, journalism, digital marketing, or related fields
- Two to four years of experience in storytelling, including crafting tailored content for websites, blogs, reports, social media, and other communication channels for diverse audiences ranging from decision makers to the general public; examples of work to be included.
- Excellent writing skills; proficiency in InDesign.
- Proven experience working on social media and content management platforms.
- Demonstrated passion for, and experience in, communicating complex and technical issues to a non-expert audience.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure juggling multiple tasks.
- Excellent organisational skills and a high level of attention to detail essential.
- Good eye for design and branding
- Good understanding of communications principles, including knowledge about digital communications, current social media trends and tactics, and search engine optimization
- A proactive approach to work and a problem-solving attitude.
- Excellent working knowledge of French and English
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 13 months (April 2020 – April 2021); possibility of extension depending on further funding.
The position is placed in Geneva, Switzerland. The selected candidate will be offered a fixed-term national contract with a gross salary of approximately 2’400 CHF (as per DRC Geneva Salary Scale, band J). Following Swiss regulations DRC offers accident and travel insurance for all Geneva based staff. All staff have to pay tax, social security and pension contributions according to Swiss law. All staff are obliged by Swiss law to have a valid Swiss health insurance (not covered by DRC).
DRC does not pay any additional allowances (schooling, housing etc.). Estimated gross/net calculations can be found online, for instance: https://www.lohncomputer.ch/en/
Interviews will be held in the first week of April 2020
Start date: 6 April 2020