Pact Kenya is searching for a Grants Manager to be based in Nairobi and will play the key role of leading and overseeing all aspects related to management of grants, contracts and procurement. S/he will support the grants team for all current and future Pact in Kenya/Somalia projects. This position reports to the Country Director and will require 35%+ travel to Mogadishu, Somalia and Hargeisa, Somaliland as well as in-country travel in Kenya.
The main purpose of this position is to provide high-level grants management and administration to achieve project goals, working with partner organizations of all levels. S/he provides overall leadership and oversight for all aspects related to management of grants, contracts and procurement. This requires close collaboration with Pact HQ to ensure compliance with Pact and donor guidelines. The Grants Manager supervises all staff within the grants and procurement unit and works in close collaboration with program teams, Team Leads/Chief of Party.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· In collaboration with program teams, design, develop and rollout grant award mechanisms and processes
· Serve as the primary point of contact with the Team Leads/Chief of Parties on grants status, processes and workflows
· Participates in project/s senior management meetings ensuring grants integration and support
· Provide effective supervision and performance management, mentoring, and coaching for grants staff in Kenya and Somalia
· Ensure strong links between the grants management and capacity building approach to maximize efforts to strengthen strategic partners and build in strategies to the grant making process.
· Develop subgrant documents in compliance with funder requirements, using Pact standard templates and working closely with Pact HQ Agreement Management team to execute quality subawards.
· Maintain grant documents and systems according to Pact’s standards and donor policies.
· Ensure all grant processes from award to closeout are completed in a timely fashion according to Pact’s standards.
· Ensure proper implementation pre-award assessment processes for grantee selection and negotiation.
· Administer the full grant cycle of subaward management activities, from solicitation through selection, pre-award assessment, negotiation, monitoring/compliance visits, and closeout efficiently and in a timely fashion in line with Pact’s guidelines and donor requirements.
· Utilize Pact’s subaward management system (Salesforce) and accounting system (Serenic NAV) for subaward issuance and management. Ensure that all required documentation is available and stored as per Pact policy.
· Coordinate the proposal review process and ensure compliance with solicitations and donor requirements.
· Ensure comprehensive review of partner budgets is done. Train the grants staff on budget review basics; how to analyze, verify and review proposal budgets; how to tie the budget to the proposal, what to look out for, what questions to ask, what recommendations to make, as well as the basics of reviewing partner cash requests and financial reports against budgets.
· Oversee budget management of each project’s subaward pool working closely and in alignment with the finance department to ensure accurate and timely disbursement and liquidation of subaward expenses.
· Maintain an updated grants matrix for each project that informs regular decision making as well as used as a reference tool when reviewing partner cash requests.
· Oversee effective regular financial review/ expenditure verification of partner transactions and follow up on findings.
· Manage partners to report efficiently to ensure uninterrupted project implementation.
· Maintain the link between grants management and M&E systems to improve grantee reporting and the link to Pact requirements.
· Ensure timely training of subgrantees and Pact staff to understand and comply fully with funder requirements. Develop training materials and carry out regular trainings for partner finance staff.
· Ensure that office systems for grants administration are maintained and that regular reports are provided to Pact headquarters or the funder as required.
· Develop and/or update Subawards Manual/s in compliance with Pact HQ guidance.
· Support closeout of awards, including preparation of final inventories, property disposition, etc.
· Provide operational cost share management, when applicable.
· Contribute to the global Grants Management Community of Practice to share best practices and lessons learned on Pact’s intranet “Mosaic.”
Qualifications and experience:
· University degree in business administration, accounting, social sciences or related field.
· At least 7 years working experience in grants/contracts management, and procurement.
· Knowledge of USAID policies, regulations and reporting requirements; knowledge of EU regulations helpful.
· Strong written and oral communications skills; attention to detail; takes initiative; able to manage competing urgent requests and priorities.
· Understanding of sound procurement procedures.
· Experience in program management, reports to donors and a good understanding of budgets.
· Experience assessing the responsibility and grant-worthiness of organizations through financial statements, audits, assessment processes and other documentation presented in a proposal or in support of an award.
· A team player, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure.
· Basic competence in common IT applications.
· Ability to travel to Somalia, Somaliland and within all counties of Kenya.