Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)U (unclassified)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate TypeInternship
Target Start Date2023-06-05
Job Posting End DateMay 27, 2023
Terms of ReferenceBackground information/Organizational Context
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
In more than five decades, the agency has helped an estimated 50 million people restart their lives. From only 34 staff members when UNHCR was founded, it now has more than 8,600 national and international members of staff, including 972 in UNHCR's Geneva headquarters. The agency works in 126 countries, with staff based in 135 main locations such as regional and branch offices and 279 often remote sub-offices and field offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will work directly with the UNHCR office, under guidance and supervision of the Senior PSP Communications Associate, the incumbent’s responsibilities will include:
• To work with the team to enhance public awareness of UNHCR through communication and campaign strategy to reach out to mass public;
• To explore opportunity of corporate partnership by data collection, marketing research and solicitation with external parties;
• To develop communication and campaign materials for promotion and public education;
• To assist in Refugee Film Festival and other events preparation and onsite event management;
• To provide administrative supports required to assist the team;
• Undertaking other duties as required by the supervisor.
Minimum qualifications required
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies
• Full knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Excel and Word)
• Able to work independently as well as in team
• Proficiency in written and spoken Chinses (Cantonese and Mandarin) and English
• Recruitment as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Standard Job Description
Required Languages English
Other informationThis position doesn't require a functional clearance