UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a Temporary Appointment within the Financial Systems Support and Reporting Unit in our Budapest Headquarters in Hungary (telecommuting possible).
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: Finance Officer (Systems)
- Duty Station: Budapest, Hungary (telecommuting possible)
- Duration: 6 months
- Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
- Start date: ASAP
- Closing date for applications: 5 November 2020 (midnight, Geneva time)
The position is located in the Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM), in the System Administration Section¿s Financial Systems Support and Reporting (FSSR) Unit. The incumbent reports to the Senior Finance Officer of the FSSR Unit. The FSSR Unit is based in UNHCR¿s Global Service Centre in Budapest and works in close coordination with DFAM¿s Accounts and Financial Service (AFS) also located in Budapest.
In today's changing environment, UNHCR is seeing an increase in the complexity of financial and performance reporting requirements, diversity of technical skills in the workforce, and the impact of rapidly changing technologies.
The Finance Officer (Systems) will be responsible for ensuring that UNHCR ERP system MSRP and complementary tools such as the Business Intelligence platform meet evolving financial and administrative data analytics, dashboards and reporting requirements.
The incumbent will coordinate and communicate regularly with counterparts at relevant Divisions and Bureaux through the requirements analysis, solution design and development process and move into production and dissemination of new data analytics and reporting tools. This may include outreach on the benefits of the tools as well as coaching and providing guidance on how to access and use new reports.
The incumbent will have to ensure that UNHCR's statutory financial reporting (Annual Financial Statements) process is supported by our ERP system (MSRP) from the perspective of systems and data integrity and the automation of information retrieval; that UNHCR consistently complies with other regular and ad hoc reporting requirements, both internal and external, always ensuring systems and data integrity and that users at HQ and in the field are provided with appropriate data analytics, dashboards and reporting capacity as well as with the corresponding technical support, as appropriate.
Duties and responsibilities
Within the Area of Responsibility, the candidate will be responsible to:
- Act as deputy for the Head of the Financial Systems Support and Reporting Unit (FSSRU).
- Provide system-related technical advice, guidance and support to users at HQ and in the field; contribute to proposals for training plans and undertake training on MSRP and other relevant tools.
- Provide analysis of processes, systems and internal controls and propose and implement enhancements to the MSRP system, other tools and financial processes.
- Support implementing business intelligence data on warehouses, tools and software to enable data analyses.
- Support the design and development of consistent reporting packages and dashboards within the Business Intelligence (BI) platform.
- Analyze and address ad-hoc data-related requests from various stakeholders.
- Support the preparation of the annual financial statements.
- Support the preparation of regular and ad hoc financial management reports.
- Propose and implement improvements to the reporting structure, and to reflect the inclusion of new sources of data.
- Draft required reports.
- Propose improvements and suggestions for development to BI solutions, MSRP and other financial systems and procedures.
- Obtain from HQ and field offices any information necessary to carry out his/her responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will have:
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, Finance or related field plus minimum 6 years of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master¿s) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Professional experience in an international or multinational environment, preferably within the UN system, in finance management and reporting and/or in management of information systems.
- Solid hands-on background and experience in relational databases (RDBMS).
- In-depth knowledge of financial management systems, PeopleSoft or a similar ERP system.
- Strong analytical skills in data management and design.
- Demonstrated knowledge of BI and data analytics solutions, including in the following area: performing data analyses from collection through reporting and recommendations; utilization of financial systems, reporting systems, and standard industry practices and reporting results and providing insightful results analyses.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluency in English, including strong drafting skills.
Desired qualifications and competencies
- Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Experience in supervisory responsibility.
- Good understanding of international accounting standards (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
- Exposure to UN/UNHCR field Operations.
- Good knowledge of French.
- Good knowledge of another UN official language.
The successful candidate will be based with the team in the UNHCR HQ in Budapest, Hungary (telecommuting possible).
The Temporary Appointment is for a period of up to six months and the start date is as soon as possible. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 9 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week). The Fixed Term Position will be advertised and the Temporary Appointment candidate could apply to this upcoming vacancy.