Position title Finance Officer Supervised by Country Director Report to Regional Finance Coordinator Location Tunis Aera of Operation Country Employment period 6 months Wished start date ASAP Type of contract (Expat/National/Trainee) National Salary & Benefits Non-Management H
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
1 - Background
DRC has been providing relief and development services in West Africa since 1998 and in Latin America and the Caribbean since 2011. Using a human rights framework, the DRC WANALAC operation focuses on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, migrants, and host communities in Algeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Colombia, Libya, Mali, Mexico, Niger, Nigeria, Tunisia, Venezuela. Led by the Regional Executive Director, the DRC WANALAC oversees, supports, and provides strategic directions for DRC’s Country Offices within the above-mentioned regions. The WANALAC Regional office also supports multi-country projects and non-operational initiatives, focusing on protection analysis and displacement trends, civil society engagement, as well as advocacy and policy initiatives related to displacement. DRC portfolio in the WANALAC region covers all DRC core sectors (Protection, Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding, Shelter and CCCM) through the entire response framework (Emergency response, Durable Solutions and Root causes).
2 - Purpose
Under the technical supervision of the Finance Coordinator from WANALAC Regional Office the Finance Officer based in Tunis, assisted by a finance assistant, will oversee the daily finance and accounting management of Tunis Unit Coordination. The Finance Officer will work on overall financial monitoring and support capacity building for Yola office and partners and to practice rigorous financial control mechanism and archiving System. He/she will make sure that financial procedures, policies, and requirements are implemented in compliance with DRC and Donors and to contribute to the achievement of DRC goals and vision.Functions as Finance Archivist in Finance within the Country of Tunisia; Provide overall support to the Finance DRC Tunisia as audit focal person; Hold a cash book and update at a daily basis the ERP-Dynamics system adequatel; Ensure compliance with the finance chapters of DRC’s Operations Handbook related to Dynamics.
3 - Responsabilities
The responsibilities expected for this position are:
1) Management of the office cash flow include the forecastsPrepare the bank transfer instructions for suppliers’ payment on time for Tunis office ; Manage the cash and safe boxes for the cash payment in the office and on the field if required ; In relation with the DRC programme and support departments, prepare the monthly cash flow forecast and send it to the finance specialist/Finance Coordinator for compilation ; Ensure good relations with financial partners (banks, PFA, etc.).
2) Hold a cash book and update at a daily basis the ERP-Dynamics system adequatelyReprésenter DRC et assister à tous les forums et réunions pertinents à Batangafo ; Maintenir des relations avec les autorités administratives et autres parties prenantes sur la région de Batangafo ; Maintenir des relations de travail étroites et bénéfiques avec les bailleurs, les organisations nationales et internationales et leurs homologues locaux ; Respecter et appliquer les exigences internes en matière de rapportage et contribuer à des rapports externes ainsi qu’assurer un contrôle de qualité ; Assurer une communication constante, transparente et proactive avec la hiérarchie et le bureau « capitale ».
3) Management of financial assets and liabilities of the baseRecords all assets and liabilities in the cash books and Dynamics at Daily basis and follow properly their settlement in Dynamics and the cash book as well. Ensure a monthly reconciliation of all assets/liabilities received from the Headquarter and recorded in Tunisia Legal Entity and especially those of Tunis Office.
4) Tax deduction and remittance on timeEnsure that the withholding taxes is well calculated, recorded in the Dynamics System and paid at monthly basis. Follow up on the staff statutory and taxes payment at monthly basis and ensure that all receipts are collected and archived. Collect the taxes clearance certificate or credit notes when the payment is done.
5) Archiving and Audit Management in TunisEnsure that all the supporting documents are attached per transaction in Dynamics. Ensure that all supporting (Hard copies) are scanned with covers sheet attached and saved on Tunisia Dropbox, hard drives, etc. At monthly basis, ensure that all folders containing finance records from each location are tagged and well arrange in the archive room. Participate in audits preparation/execution (compilation of audit requirements) Provides feedback and enhances internal controls to satisfy audit requirements; takes part of providing data and records during the audit process; reports immediately on irregular spending to Finance Coordinator as deemed appropriate.
6) Other supports for this positionProvide technical support to the program/Support team if required Takes part of regular staff meeting and respects to the weekly task report in line with performance management.
4 - Required qualificationsMinimum of 3 years of experience in Accounting, Finance & Audit , preferably with an INGO Post-graduate degree (Bachelor/ Master) from a recognized University in Social Science, International or Development studies or related areas; Excellent writing, proof-reading, and communication skills; Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills; Strong ability to adapt, take initiative and work in a multicultural environment; Interest for humanitarian sector and donor’s environment; Listening, analytical and synthesis skills; Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required; Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace; An engagement with an NGO or in civil society (past or present) is a most appreciated; Full professional fluency in French language (80% of the professional communication in this position will be done in French, including almost all the communication within the WANALAC Regional Office); Proficiency (written and spoken) of the English language; Advanced practical knowledge Microsoft Office Pack (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook etc.), and online tools.
5 - Required Skills and qualitiesCore competencies Striving for excellence Collaboration Taking the lead Communication Demonstrating Integrity
Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required Multi-tasking and Organizational skills are necessary Adaptable and Flexible Proven analytical and critical thinking skills Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace Team-oriented & good sense of humor
6 - General regulationsThe employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality, and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
7 - Application Process
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot employ, under an international traineeship or volunteering agreement, a citizen of the country in which she/ he is going to be stationed (in such case, the Republic of Tunisia).
Applications close on the 12th of August, 2022. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered. Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.