Pact’s mission is to build empowered communities, effective governments and responsible organizations that give people an opportunity for a better life. We do this by strengthening the capacity of organizations and institutions to be good service providers, represent their stakeholders, network with others for learning and knowledge sharing, and advocate for social, economic and environmental justice. Interdependence, responsible stewardship, inclusion of vulnerable groups, and respect for local ownership and knowledge are core values across all our programs.
Pact Inc. Kenya office seeks to hire a Finance Assistant to assist the Regional Approaches for Sustainable Conflict Management and Integration (RASMI) Program, in planning, organizing, monitoring and reporting of finance and grants related activities which Pact carries out in the field. S/he will also be required to provide program and technical support to partners and field office staff. This position reports to the EUTF Team Leader and is located in Mandera with travel to the RASMI operational areas.
Roles and responsibilities:
Carry out partner financial risk assessments and ensure that the findings are incorporated into compliance management cycle
• Preparing grant modifications for cost/program changes under the direction of the Senior Grants Officer.
• Ensuring that all grant documentation is maintained according to Pact’s standards and donor regulations.
• Receive and examine payment requests supporting documents from Pact field staff and partners
• Monitoring funds advances and liquidation balances closely and ensuring timely liquidations.
• Reviewing financial reports from partners to ensure finance compliance against partner budgets.
• Reviewing cost share reports from grantees/partners to ensure compliance against grant commitments.
• Maintaining and updating the grant tracking database. Always ensure consistency and accuracy of information therein.
• Capturing and monitoring of cost recovery (disallowed costs) from grant funded projects
• Consolidating financial reports on grants and grant analysis reports and providing feedback on the same to the Senior Grants Officer.
• Assisting the Program Team in developing training materials for partners in compliance with Pact’s policies and EU regulations. Provide training, coaching, and mentoring to partners finance staff
• Support planning and implementation of activities, including payment of participants.
• Receive and process all cash advances on time and arrange for bank runs in coordination with the Finance Officer in Nairobi to ensure funds are availed to staff and sub recipients on a timely basis.
• Maintain an unpaid invoices file and ensure all recurrent invoices and utility bills are paid on time
• Assist in processing staff liquidations
• Reviewing of supplier reconciliation/accounts payable and ensure accounts payable are up to date
• Assist with any other duties as requested by the supervisor
Qualifications and experiences required:
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, commerce or related field required.
• At least 3 years of professional experience in finance/accounting.
• Minimum CPA 2
• Experience within the development sector, specifically with Donors or Implementing Partners.
• Knowledge of donor policies, regulations and reporting requirements.
• Level V written and oral communication skills (English).
• Advanced experience with Microsoft Package.
• Exemplary attention to detail.
• Highly organized, creative and methodical.
• Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
• Must be willing to travel (30% of the time).
• Ability to prioritize and must obtain strong multitasking skills.
• Must possess the ability to work with stringent deadlines, while maintaining sound judgement, utmost integrity, transparency and accountability.
• Must be able to work autonomously and simultaneously be a team player.
• Must be a self-starter and require limited supervision.