- To conduct situational analysis: this includes regional spatial diagnosis and base-mapping at Wereda level, summary of the key strategic issues (constraints and opportunities) and determination of the emerging spatial structure which influences regional development, based on desk review, data collection (Matrix of Function and spatial documents), and consultative workshops;
- To identify the existing resources and plan utilization of such resources in each region;
- To prioritize and guide investment decisions as per the regional spatial development plan;
- To prepare a complete Regional Spatial Development Framework (SDF) comprising of vision for 2040, spatial development strategies (i.e. goals, objectives, targets, and strategies) and planning guidelines for the desired future, in the context of the national development goals as stipulated in strategic development plans of the country (i.e. NUSDP and the Ten-Year Perspective Plan) and other relevant global agendas, especially the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the New Urban Agenda (NUA);
- To identify and prepare regional development policies and measures (i.e. policy statements, programs, projects, etc.) that can achieve the objectives under the SDF following the regional spatial structure proposed based on a preferred scenario;
- To develop a comprehensive implementation plan, including an investment roadmap, institutional arrangements and legislation framework, and organizational capacity development program;
- To prepare a monitoring and evaluation system that inform government budgeting, private investments, public-private partnership, etc…
- Lead the review of relevant literature related to environmental planning and its elements (Social & economic development, Urban development, Regional development, Natural resource management & integrated land use, Infrastructure systems, Governance frameworks etc);
- Lead the review of legislations and policies related to the environment and natural resource management;
- Develop checklists for data collection on environment and natural resource management in coordination with regional level team leaders;
- Guide field data collection, analysis, and interpretation;
- Lead the assessment of existing situation focusing on the existing topographic, environmental (including hazards and climate change) and natural resources;
- Assessment and analysis of the National and Regional legal and policy frameworks related to environment and natural resource management
- Assessment of the national development strategies and plans related to environment and natural resource management;
- Analysis of key challenges and opportunities in environment protection and natural resource management.;
- Undertake trend analysis of development potentials including natural resources and ecological assets. Identify resources as development potentials of cities across the region/s;
- Lead SWOT analysis: This should reveal potentials of the regions based on its strength and opportunities. The analysis should also reveal the weaker side which tends to pose threat to the future development of the region;
- Give recommendations on how to improve intra-region urban and rural cluster development and connectivity while ensuring sustainable development and protecting ecological assets. This will be incorporated in the regional development spatial plan;
- Propose strategies for a climate change resilient spatial plan for regional urban and rural cluster development;
- Prepare an assessment report and a guiding framework.
- Review of relevant literature related to environmental planning and its elements (Social & economic development, Urban development, Regional development, Natural resource management & integrated land use, Infrastructure systems, Governance frameworks etc). Review of legislations and policies related to the environment and natural resource management. Develop checklists for data collection on environment and natural resource management. Support international counterpart with local knowledge and information;
- Assessment of the existing systems/conditions of the Region/s focusing on the existing topographic, environmental (including hazards and climate change) and natural resources. Assessment and analysis of the National and Regional legal and policy frameworks related to environment and natural resource management. Assessment of the national development strategies and plans related environment and natural resource management;
- Support the collection of primary qualitative Socio-Economic data collection by designing a questionnaire and in producing a preliminary data analysis;
- Analysis of key challenges and opportunities in environment protection and natural resource management. Trend analysis of development potentials including natural resources and ecological assets. Identify resources as development potentials of cities across the region/s;
- SWOT analysis: This should reveal potentials of the region based on its strength and opportunities. The analysis should also reveal the weaker side which tends to pose threat to the future development of the region;
- Provide recommendations on how to improve intra-region urban and rural cluster development and connectivity while ensuring sustainable development and protecting ecological assets. This will be incorporated the regional development spatial plan;
- Propose strategies for a climate change resilient spatial plan for regional urban and rural cluster development. Support the development of scenarios from the perspective of environment and climate change;
- Support drafting of the substantive chapters of the RDSP in coordination with the team leader and the other team members, including the formulation of key recommendations; pictures, resource maps, graphs and illustrations that may be used to make the report more attractive and communicative; Support the development of scenarios and proposals from the perspective of economic development.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability for building and managing effective partnerships;
- Excellent writing skills, with analytical capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality reports.
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision with a high degree of responsibility, in a flexible manner and often under pressure;
- Knowledge of financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, and general administration;
- Capacity to coordinate and organize a team and to support project implementation;
- Ability to conduct interviews, surveys, and other data collection techniques.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in in Geography or Environmental science, environmental engineering, environmental geology or equivalent. specific work experience in physical and environmental analysis of regional planning and urban planning;
- Formal training in project management is an asset;
- Recognised experience and knowledge on environment planning, climate change and natural resources management. Excellent knowledge of the Ethiopian/regional environmental context.
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in Environmental science, environmental engineering, environmental geology or equivalent. specific work experience in physical and environmental analysis of regional planning and urban planning or equivalent and relevant research projects and programmes at national level and at least three (3) years of similar experience on planning and development related international projects or on international level is required;
- Proven experience in planning projects/ programme design and implementation with the UN or other international agencies is desirable;
- Recognised experience and knowledge with an excellent knowledge of the Ethiopian context
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of any of the local languages is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year with a possibility of extension