Position: Emergency Health Manager
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Duration: 6 months (with possible consideration for shorter consultancy)
Reports: Program Director with dotted line to Deputy Country Director – Health
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: The Emergency Health Program Manager will oversee RI’s anticipated new COVID-19 Health Response Programs, working closely with the existing health team to mobilize new project activities, and activate a timely, efficient, emergency response.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Help with project start-up including procurement of PPE for health workers; mobilization of in-kind health supplies from UN agencies; recruitment and training of key staff on infection prevention control (IPC) and COVID-19 case management.
- Work with newly hired staff to plan for deployment to targeted provincial hospitals, screening areas, and provide targeted surge support/capacity based on health facility gaps
- Ensure mobilization of key activities and engagement with departments to ensure proper procurement planning and recruitment
- Develop M&E and reporting plan for indicator & donor reporting requirements: Ensure field teams have adequate tools for reporting and are trained on data collection/reporting procedures.
- Conduct health facility gap analysis and/or criteria for health team deployment for COVID-19 surge based on qualitative consultations with key health actors, and data verification
- Represent RI together with Deputy Country Director – Health at relevant forums, coordination meetings, and donors/partners
- In collaboration with RI’s Program Director and Deputy Country Director – Health, help cultivate and strengthen new and existing relations with health actors and donors.
Program Quality & Reporting
- Manage donor reporting requirements
- Lead the development of biweekly donor updates to ensure active communication on response activities
- Conduct program quality exercises and establish beneficiary feedback mechanisms, e.g. rapid health facility assessments, patient exit interviews, and/or focus group discussions with community members on service quality
- Manage budget reviews with relevant stakeholders to monitor spending/implementation rates and proactively take grant revision procedures
- Identify gaps / needs in the current health response (in addition to COVID-19 specific health gaps) and tailor needs assessments accordingly
- Actively communicate newly identified needs with leadership
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- University or Masters degree, with 5-7 years of experience working with an international NGO.
- Strong emergency response experience in health; clinical background preferred but not required.
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Able and willing to network with external stakeholders and represent RI with partners and donors
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation