ROLE PURPOSE: :
The main function of this role will be to support the Iraq National Education Cluster with the translation of cluster meetings and operational education in emergencies guidance and related coordination information into Arabic and Kurdish to help ensure humanitarian practitioners and cluster coordinators' responses are timely, structured, inclusive and in line with standards.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Education Cluster Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: None
Budget Responsibilities: None
Role Dimensions: The post holder is expected to keep close contact with national organisations and national education authorities.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
* Translate documents between English, Kurdish and Arabic as necessary, and in a timely manner.
* Provide accurate interpretation of speeches and statements to and from English in official and internal meetings, workshops, seminars, training sessions.
* Assist in the coordination of all official correspondence and other communications received from authorities or organisations and prepare official translations of correspondence as required.
* Assist in the drafting of communications materials, including promotional material, situational reports, capability statements, and media pieces.
Work closely with the technical and support staff to develop and translate relevant materials for use in direct communication with children and the community in general, as well as local authorities.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
* holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
* holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
* sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
* widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
* future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
* builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
* values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
* approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
* develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
* willing to take disciplined risks.
* honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
* University qualification or equivalent experience
* Professional experience in translation and/or interpretation is desirable
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* Fluent in written and oral communication in Kurdish, Arabic, and English.
* Experience of working in Education in Emergencies is desirable
* Proven ability to work as part of a team
* Ability to manage multiple urgent demands, and make timely and quality judgments and decisions to produce the highest quality work possible under time and resource constraints.
* Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
* Strong organisational skills.
* Flexibility and willingness to change work practices and hours
* Strong computer skills (MS Office, including Outlook for email).
* Commitment to and understanding aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches of the organisation at which the post is based.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.