The Economist Programme is one of RBA's most valued initiatives in enhancing policy support and capacity in our programme countries. It is particularly more relevant now that the 2030 development agenda and the African Union Agenda (Agenda 2063) are being jointly rolled out and implemented at the national and regional levels. Sitting on an important inflection point, Africa has adopted structural transformation, investments in human development and green growth as its key guiding policies for Africa's growth and development. As such, enhanced policy support capacity at country level, to take forward Africa's agenda, is an imperative.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Economist, the Economics Specialist will provide top quality advisory support to the Government, UNDP Multi-Country Office and the UN County Teams of Mauritius. S/he will support the advancement of UNDP's thought leadership at the country level through:evidence-based research; advocacy for policy reforms or advancement of th 2030 Agenda and the African Union Agenda 2063; support to policy and programme development; and promotion of strategic partnership within and outside of the UN system. The incumbent will perform the following specific duties.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Resident Representative and the Chief Economist, the Economics Specialist is responsible for research,development and application of economic theories and principles to the formulation of strategies and plans for solutions to economic problems, especially as they relate to the Sustainable Development Goals and development issues in Africa. The Economic Specialist will help position UNDP at the country level as a thought leader and an integrator of the SDGs by leading the preparation of pertinent knowledge products that generate issues for productive national debates, analyzing economic and social trends and providing policy advisory services to the Government, UN Country Teams on development issues and policies as well as enhancing the policy impactof UNDP programmes and projects.
In addition, th Economic Specialist is expected to scan and monitor economic policy developments an advises RR, UNCT (as may be deemed fit) and other members of the UNDP Team and its partners on strategic policy issues. S/he contributes to UNDP's policy dialogue with Government and donors. S/he supervises and leads a team of UNDP experts, international and national consultants and project staff on policy matters. The Economic Specalist works in close collaboration with the operations and programme teams, UNDP HQs staff, particulary Policy Advisors in the RBA's Strategy and Analysis Team (SAT) and those in the Bureau for Policy an Programme Support (BPPS), the Regional Service Center for Africa (RSCA), Government officials, multi-lateral and bilateral donors and civil society ensuring high-level of UNDP programmes poliy impact.
1. Provides high quality economic analysis to UNDP and UNCT programmes and ensures that UNDP programmes are in line with Global commitments, national policies and priorities through:
- Developing and maintaining the socio-economic databaseand qualitative information on current development issues;
- Analyzing and reporting on economic and statistical data on key development isues of importance to the country through preparation of briefs and policy notes;
- Undertaking of studies/research on emerging development aligning with country context in collaboration with other Development Patners;
- Providing technical and analytical leadership and/or drafting support for the preparation of UNDP flagship reports or knowledge products prepared by UNDP programmes or finance by UNDP including Voluntary National Reports and National Human Development Reports;
- Providing analysis and substantive inputs to Common Country Assessments, UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), UNDP Country Programme Documents, project and programme documents and other strategic documents;
- Providing support to monitoring and reporting on the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (UNSDCF);
- Assisting the UNDP multi-country office in resource mobiization efforts as an Upper MIC and HIC;
- Provide oversight support to the programme team in conducting sector specific analytica works.
2. Provides high quality policy advice to the Government, UNDP management, programmes and projects focusing on achievement of the 2030 Agenda, Agenda 2063 and the Government's development aspirations through:
- Monitoring nationa, regional and global developments an advising on their impications on the country and UNDP programme;
- Providing backstopping support to governments, UNDP and other actors in line with UNDP's development mandate;
- Providing top quality specialzed support the Resident Representative in engaging in strategic policy discourse, and managing the Country Programme,through preparation of policyand guidance notes, speeches and other delvery mechanisms, as appropriate;
- Working effectively with UNDP Headquarters and regional offices, and sister UN agencies, through the RBA, to advance the 2030 Agenda at the country level;
- Advising on possible areas for UNDPsupport and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities;
- Providing management support to the programme team in conducting sector specific analytical works.
3. Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP mandate and mission focusing on:
- Public and policy advocacy for the SDGs, pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums,conferences and trainings;
- Supporting the monitoring of progress and formulation of strategies toward the achievement of the SDGs;
- Production and launch of economic reports, including National Human Development Reports;
- Managing of events and publications on economic issues;
- Representing UNDP in different working groups.
Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them.
Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow.
Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers.
People Management - Abilty to improve performance and satisfaction.
Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others.
Communicaton - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by preseting complex concepts in practical terms to other.
Delivery- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions.
Sustainable Development Goals- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the abiity to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Strategic Thinking/Visioning - Ability to analyze the organization's value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions.
Level 5: Originate Catalyzes new ideas,method, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Monitoring and Evaluation - Knowledge of methodologies, assessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations.
Level 5: Orginate: Catalyzes new ideas, method, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Substantive Positioning of UNDP - Knowledge of global institutions (such as the UN, IFIs),processes (such as G20 and various UN initiatives), good grasp of UN's niche, and ability to engage and foster strong networks with those institutions.
Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, method, and application to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
- Master's Degree in Economics, Development Economics , Environmental Economics and related fields. A PhD in Economics or related fields would be an asset.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience related to economic development issues;
- Demonstrable experience in economic research and policy-level analysis, including the provision of policy advice at the national and international levels;
- Demonstrable experience related to inclusive development, environmental economics, pro-poor policy developmentand implementation would be desirable;
- Demonstrable experience in publications on economic issues at national or international level, high quality reports, strategic reporting and analysis would be desirable;
- Experiene in the usage of computers and ofice software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes or statistical analysis of data;
- Working experience in Upper MIC/HIC contexts is desirable.
- Proficiency in English.
- Working knowledge of French will be an asset.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension