UNDP’s Country Programme priorities in Mozambique were defined with national counterparts in alignment with the five-year government plan (PQG), the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) 2017-2020, the UNDP Strategic Plan, and the Istanbul Programme of Action for least developed countries. The current UNDP’s Country Programme focus on three interlinked and transformative pillars:
(a) Sustainable and inclusive economic transformation;
(b) Resilience and natural resources management;
(c) Good governance, peace and social cohesion.
Based on pillar (c) and UNDAF Outcome 8 ‘All people benefit from democratic and transparent governance institutions and systems that ensure peace consolidation, human rights and equitable service delivery’, this assignment is part of UNDP’s project on ‘Promoting peace, social cohesion and conflict prevention’ in Mozambique. UNDP will support the Government of Mozambique (GoM) to address the recovery and development needs for peace consolidation and social cohesion in targeted areas of Cabo Delgado. With strong foundation in UNDP’s signature solutions on governance for peaceful, just and inclusive societies as well as crisis prevention and increased resilience, UNDP will promote social cohesion and prevention of conflict and violence, including sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV). UNDP will further address poverty and inequality as root causes of vulnerability for violence and conflict in Cabo Delgado by promoting seed economic opportunities that can improve livelihoods and stimulate income-generating activities with positive effects for local markets.
The Driver will support and work in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the UNDP’s Country Office and Project Management Unit primarily in the Province of Cabo Delgado but also in Maputo and other locations as needed.
Effective support for appropriate project implementation, focusing on:
- Ensuring provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required;
- Ensuring cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Ensuring proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc;
- Ensuring availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary s are arts;
- Ensuring that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards and compliance with the norms and values of the GoM;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN;
- Disseminates the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver's license.
- 2 years of work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Previous similar work experience in the Province of Cabo Delgado is highly desirable.
- Fluency in Portuguese. English will be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 Months with Possibility of Extension