Organization: CARE International in Lebanon
Position Title: Director of Program Development and Impact
Work Location: Beirut with frequent travel throughout Lebanon
Supervisor: Country Director
CARE International foundation and its Mission, are built around life saving, fighting poverty and social justice programming. CARE International Lebanon programs offer variety of spectrum with emergency and development programs across the board throughout the country. CARE International presence in Lebanon stems from 2006, and recently it has been relaunched in 2014 to support Syrian refugees that were displaced in Lebanon from ongoing civil War.
Currently, CARE International presence is throughout the country with offices in Beirut and Tripoli. Our main program sectors are; Gender-Protection, Food Security Livelihood and Shelter with aspiration to work on Environment and Governance areas in forthcoming period. Currently programming is focused on addressing multi-challenges faced by the most vulnerable in Lebanon: a) vulnerable communities affected by Lebanon socio-economic crisis; b) Syrian refugees hosted throughout the country; c) citizens affected by Beirut Explosion; and d) addressing COVID 19 needs in areas of FSL and protection.
CARE Lebanon has scaled up rapidly over the past few years and today it has just about 140 staff members, implementing all its programs via different local/national organization partners. 95% of the team is composed of national staff with symbolic number of internationals present. Currently, CARE Lebanon is involved in important planning processes such as Country Strategic Programme Plan, and planning to complete renewal of Gender, Protection, and FSL strategies. Subsequently it is expected to have Partnership and Advocacy Strategies developing this year.
Member of the Senior Management Team, the post holder will be expected to lead on strategizing at program level, specifically regarding program development, donor positioning, program integration and finally developing sustainable reach capacities in the area of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning.
Sector Coordinators Gender/Protection, FSL and Shelter), Partnership Manager, MEAL Manager and Snr Program Dvp Officer
This position will be based in Beirut office, with extensive fieldwork and travel throughout Tripoli, Saida, Tyre and Bekaa Valley.
Salary: Based on CIL salary scale
Employment Start Date: ASAP
Duration of Contract: 1 year (renewable)
Contract Type: Fixed Term Employment Contract
Other contract elements: Benefits: Social security/Health Insurance & Transport allowance. The direct supervisor reserves the right to adapt this job description at any time during employment according to needs. Any extension of this contract is dependent on performance review and funding availability.
Education & Certification: Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International relations or related fields.
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, etc..
Requirements: Valid driving license
Posting Restrictions: Flexible
- More than 5 years’ experience in a similar role with successful management experience
- More than 10 years’ experience working in INGO programs
- Very good knowledge of Lebanon, Middle East context and its communities
- Excellent knowledge of donor expectations, networking and relationship building
- Strategic and program development experience
- Experience in working in partnership with local and international organizations
- Experience in budget designs
- Strong analytical skills and excellent documentation and communication skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, excellent planning skills and provide timely quality information and reports
- Ability to work well with a team and establish relationships with other teams/offices
- Cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures with highly developed interpersonal skills and fluency in English
IT / Software / Skills:
Good command of Excel, Word, and Outlook
Language Speaking Reading Writing
- English Fluent Fluent Fluent
- Arabic Fluent Fluent Fluent
- Demonstrated experience in strategic programme development
- Ability to build and update donor landscaping documents and related fundraising strategies. Familiar with major donor compliance standards
- Knows well INGO programming cycles and has a sense of how aid is reshaping (i.e. partnership opportunities and challenges).
- Strong analytical skills, and ability to design and direct sector/area plans
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and with open leadership
- Strong sense of ownership and able to see through the completion of task assigned
- Demonstrated managerial and practical experience
- Excellent time management skills, ability to organize and prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Sense of diplomacy and negotiation
- Ability to operate effectively in a stressful environment
- Flexible and adaptable
- Ability to improve and institutionalize approved program development and grant reporting processes
- Adapt to changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to ensure Program Development and Impact department objectives and understanding among all teams
- Decision-making skills
- Demonstrate fairness, integrity and impartiality
Detailed Responsibilities & Tasks
Responsibility #1: Strategic Planning & programme development
- As member of the SMT, contribute to the development, maintenance, and review of programme strategy for CIL.
- Take a lead role in developing program strategies
- Ensure integration of relevant technical inputs to country strategy, proposals and reports
- Lead on conceptualizing and designing cost effective, innovative and high quality programs
- Ensure that programs are consistent with strategic CIL documents like Rapid Gender Analysis, Country Program Strategy, and with the CARE International program objectives globally.
- Initiate new project concepts and possibly lead small pilot projects which will transition later to the implementation team.
Responsibility #2: Program Design and Technical Assistance
- Ensure that the CIL Country Office has a quality, multi-sectoral program activity reflecting all major technical and sectoral aspects of the CARE International global strategy
- Ensure the design and development of woman focused emergency and development programs of a high quality that contribute to the Country Office’s strategies and plans, informed by CARE International global standards and principles
- Ensure that the different technical coordinators of the Country Office are coordinated, integrated and support each other to optimize programs and projects
- Ensure that technical staff provide input into proposals and proactively and regularly communicate planned requirements for program design and implementation to relevant Country Office departments/functions **
- Support the Director of Programme Implementation and team in ensuring adequate resources for program activities from various in country and international, institutional donors.
- Ensure excellent coordination and cooperation with Implementation teams
Responsibility #3: Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Maintain a robust M&E system to measure achievement and progress toward program goals and results
- Measure achievement and progress toward program goals and results through the M&E system
- Contribute to grants/projects reporting and total reach annual compilation
- Lead on internal and external program/project evaluations as necessary and ensure the execution of baseline, periodic, and final evaluations as necessary in coordination with the programme implementation team
- Oversee CARE International Lebanon research programs
Responsibility 4: Sector Coordinator Support and Oversight
- Provide guidance and leadership support to Sector Coordinators in Gender-Protection, FSL, Shelter and WASH
- Ensure Sector Coordinators have sufficient technical and management guidance and resourcing support from CIL to effectively represent in respective forums/WGs.
- Engage with UN Agencies on a sectoral or cross-sectors basis
Responsibility 5: Knowledge Management
- Ensure learning by the country program from relevant best practice and assess performance regularly against agreed program objectives and indicators
- Ensure learning by the country program from relevant best practices internally and externally both nationally and globally and make learning from CIL available for other CI offices.
- Engage in relevant national and global networks
- Ensure the establishment and operationalization of an online system that will enable CIL staff to access a centralized data and information system
Responsibility 6: Engagement with Partners to develop effective partnerships
- Assess the current partnerships portfolio identifying strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, to inform strategic decision-making
- Develop CARE International Lebanon Partnership strategies based on CARE’s Programme strategies and consultation with partners and CARE staff
- Facilitate partner involvement in CARE proposals and input directly to ensure partner design and costs are appropriately represented and adequately resourced
- Propose, design and pilot innovative approaches to working in effective partnerships to deliver upon CARE programmes and partnerships strategies
- Support, guide, and oversee a full menu of capacity assessment and building support for partners as identified/requested by partners.
- Provide support to partners’ proposal development from an organizational and operational standpoint
Responsibility #7: Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Program Development
- Ensure appropriate staffing within Program Development and MEAL
- Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their role
- Manage Program Sector Coordinators, Partnership Manager, MEAL Manager and SPO team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish result-based system and follow up
- Manage the performance of all staff in the Program Development and Impact work area through : Effective use of the country office’s Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measurable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations; Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities; Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance; Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ workplans
CARE is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, color, religion, and sex.