The External Relations (ER) department has been created in February 2020 and is comprised of 3 main but complementary functional areas: Private fundraising, Communications and Advocacy. The ER department is at the beginning stages of creating a new radical and ambitious strategy that will enhance IRC’s ability to ‘punch above its weight’ in private income, advocacy and brand awareness. The main objective of the department is to enable this organization of more than 12,000 staff to have the resources needed to continue serving 18 million people worldwide in places affected by war and disaster, shape the humanitarian sector by influencing key policies and reforms and build and grow IRC’s reputation.
The Director of Financial planning and management is an ambitious role that requires the management of several critical responsibilities: financial planning, reporting & reconciliation, budget development including revenue forecasting and gift management and processing for all External Relations teams including Private Fundraising, Advocacy, and Communications. In addition to overseeing the smooth running of these activities, the Director will play a leadership role in the optimization of business processes to support data-driven investments and decision making.
She/he will lead the Financial Planning & Management team comprise of 13 people situated across Europe and US, of which 5 will be direct reports. The Director will have dual reporting into the Sr. Director of Business operations and Analytics and the CFO, and she/he will work very closely with the Senior Director of Financial Planning & Analysis within the Finance department and all the senior leaders across ER to understand and service their financial and budget needs.
The Director acts as a part of the Business Operations and Analytics Leadership Team, having dual reporting into the Senior Director of Business Operations and Analytics and the CFO. She/he will be expected to lead the team responsible for ER’s financial planning and analysis, revenue reconciliation, controllership and compliance, gift processing and donor operations, overseeing a large team and providing problem solving leadership, people management and coaching. This role requires strong leadership, interpersonal and problem solving skills and a high level of personal initiative and the ability to work well in a distributed, multicultural, dynamic environment.
Main responsibilities include:
• Financial Planning and Analysis: Oversee financial planning, budget development – including the development of reliable revenue forecasts, and performance monitoring. Lead the annual strategic planning process and the monthly financial performance reviews
• Data capture, Financial Reporting and Reconciliation: Oversee capture and maintenance of high-quality financial data. Lead and support on revenue reconciliation between the CRM system (Salesforce) and the EPR system, partnering closely with business and technology teams on data capture and related process improvements to improve the availability and quality of information
• Controllership and compliance: Responsible to ensure compliance and accuracy of all financial reporting
• Investment strategy: Responsible to assess attractiveness of ER investment strategies, monitor performance and drive accountability across ER leadership
• Gift processing and reporting: Develop, implement, and maintain standards, policies and procedures for gift processing across all ER markets to improve quality of data and financial reporting, and to standardize processes across business divisions and private sector markets. Lead on ensuring a positive supporter experience, including carefully capturing donor intent and preferences, ensuring timely processing and acknowledging of gifts, and maintaining accurate and up-to-date contact information on constituents.
• Fundraising Operations and Support: Partner with Finance, IT, and other departments to improve and optimize business process, systems, and technology for global fundraising and marketing functions – e.g., processes for revenue recognition alignment
• Direct line management of 5 direct reports and oversee a total team of 13
• Ensure close collaboration across the Business Operations and Analytics team, the External Relations team more broadly, and Finance and Technology teams at the IRC
• Promote a positive, collaborative, efficient team working environment where team members enjoy working with each other and feel able to do impactful work and grow professionally over time
• Take personal responsibility for the success of the team’s work overtime, promoting and standing behind their successes, and transparently acknowledge and act on areas for improvement. Adopt and demonstrate an ownership mentality
Work / Educational Experience:
• Master's degree or equivalent
• 10 years of relevant work experience
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• 8 year experience in financial planning, reporting and management role for a large corporation or an International NGO
• Strong knowledge of Salesforce systems, process and management
• Capability to manage multiple demands and to adapt to new challenges and shifting priorities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as, an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
• Solid people management capabilities and experience in managing large teams (10+ people)
• Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time
• Strong solution-oriented mindset and ability to problem solve under high levels of ambiguity and uncertainty
Preferred experience & skills:
• Knowledge of ERP system and PowerBI
• An MBA or a Master’s degree in finance or business administration
• Knowledge of private fundraising in humanitarian or development context
• Standard office working environment
• Some international travel
• This role may require working remotely full or part time and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.