CONSULTANCY - TERMS OF REFERENCE
UNRWA is a United Nations agency established by the General Assembly in 1949 and is mandated to provide assistance and protection to a population of some 5 million registered Palestine refugees. Its mission is to help Palestine refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip to achieve their full potential in human development, pending a just solution to their plight. UNRWA’s services encompass education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance. UNRWA is the largest UN operation in the Middle East with more than 30,000 staff. UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions.
Consultant – Full Stack Developer - Python, HQ Gaza (Local)
UNRWA has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with UNICC that aims to enhance livelihood and human development opportunities to Palestine refugees in Gaza. By this new collaboration, UNRWA becomes a provider of Information Management, Technology services and capacity augmentation to UNICC technical team, on a cost recovery basis through IMTD/IT Service Center (ITSC) in HQ-Gaza.
United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC) is a UN agency that provides IT services to other UN agencies on a cost recovery basis.
UNRWA Information Management and Technology Department (IMTD) is seeking a Full Stack Developer - Python who will be responsible for full life-cycle of medium to large sized complex projects; strong technical skills; strong ability to understand complex business processes. Develops solutions based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influences client towards innovative/integrated solutions.
The consultant will report administratively to Head Information Technology Service Centre at Headquarter Gaza and technically to United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC).
Description of Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
· Gather complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
· Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for complex application development tasks.
· Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
· Provide thought leadership in designing and developing innovative integrated solutions.
· Provide guidance in application design and development to more junior staff.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
· Test all changes by using the appropriate complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
· Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
· Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
· Monitor changes and resolve complex problems by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
· Provide support by investigating and resolving issues, including complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
minimum Qualifications and Experience
· A university degree from an accredited educational institution in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline.
· At least 5 years of experience in web applications design and delivery for the public cross-culture audience
· Expert knowledge of Python and Django framework.
· Expert knowledge of database development (PostgreSQL)
· Expert knowledge of distributed version control system such as GIT
· Fluency in spoken and written English.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
· High degree of initiative, dependability and ability to work with little supervision.
· High level of personal integrity, as well as the ability to professionally handle confidential matters, and show an appropriate level of judgment and maturity.
· Ability to deliver quality results
· Excellent time management, organization, and attention to detail.
· Exemplary customer service skills.
· Demonstrable critical thinking and problem solving.
· Ability to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving high growth environment.
· Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
· Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
· Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Experience upgrading and migrating legacy web applications.
· Experience participating in Agile projects.
· Familiarity with Jira, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Jenkins, AWS and/or Azure Cloud Services.
· Working knowledge of React or Angular framework is a plus.
· Working knowledge of Docker containers and Container-orchestration systems (Kubernetes) is a plus.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
· The duration of the consultancy is 6 to 11 months, extendable according to performance and availability of funds.
· Remuneration for this consultancy will be equivalent to grade 15, $1,600 monthly salary subject to years of experience.
· The incumbent will be based in Gaza.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and CV or UN Personal History Form demonstrating clearly the knowledge and experience required to meet the consultancy requirements via firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the title of this consultancy “Full Stack Developer - Python” in the subject line of the message. The deadline for the submission of applications is 12 July 2020.**
UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from both women and men. UNRWA encourages applications from qualified women. Only those applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted. UNRWA is a non-smoking environment.