Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the head of Partnership team, the Communications Analyst implements the corporate communications strategy, as well as provides inputs to the update, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the humanitarian/recovery/development agendas, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Analyst may supervise and lead the communications staff of the country office and maintains a regular working relationship with the Regional Communications Manager. The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and Government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
A communications strategy tightly linked to program priorities helps position the Country Office in key humanitarian/recovery/development markets as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
Ensures planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and conduct of communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc), and update periodically against existing strategy and plans.
- Drafting/editing of CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy and branding.
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on ways to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programme during programme formulations.
Ensures implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy.
- Management of the development, design, production and dissemination of internal and external communication material
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to debates on key humanitarian/recovery/development issues, including through social media platforms and other relevant communication tools.
- Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and ensure publications dissemination.
- Maintain a roster of qualified translators, editors, designers and publication houses to ensure documents adhere to global guidelines
Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system (IMRP), and social media platforms focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Preparation of the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials.
- Design and implement a social media strategy to ensure and maintain UNDP presence on social media platforms in line with emerging practices and trends (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Medium…etc)
Supports UNDP business development and Knowledge Management focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and campaigns:
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on UNDP activities, UN Reform, results of SDGs
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report.
- Packaging of programme initiatives for partner review in collaboration with programme staff and supervisor.
- Identify opportunities for press engagement, including interviews with key personnel and launch/closing ceremonies of projects
- Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and, where possible, partners.
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Represent UNDP in the UN Communications Group (UNCG)
- Forging of a “one UN” image through publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, common services. Organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
- Ensured access for journalists to subject matter experts.
- Drafting/production of regular newsletter to partners.
- Preparation of donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects
- Propose innovative approaches to UNDP’s information dissemination strategy
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
- Preparation of projects factsheets for external stakeholders
- Preparation of talking points, Q & A…etc
Management of communications staff and coordination with internal and external stakeholders, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide vision and leadership to inspire communication staff to proactively engage and design innovative approaches to communication in line with CO strategy
- Management of UNDP communications staff to ensure communication vision is aligned and integrated
- Periodically Assess communications unit to ensure capacity and training needs are met and workload is appropriately distributed
- Forms and Maintains strong working relationships with field and programme staff to enhance results and communication goals
- Coordination with internal and external stakeholders to ensure UNDP key communication messages are effectively communicated
- Periodic training of UNDP staff to ensure UNDP communication key messages are understood and integrated in programme design
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on communications for development.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Brand & Quality Management:
- Ability to strengthen UNDP's identity and distinction through its brand and uphold it to a high level of quality.
Influencing and Agenda setting:
- Ability to plan and deliver communication initiatives that make an impact, persuades intended audiences, shapes perceptions of the UNDP and creates positive demand for UNDP's value propositions.
- Ability to inspire all cross-cutting communication colleagues to be innovative, especially at challenging new tasks and giving colleagues the freedom to explore and do things differently.
- Ability to form and maintain meaningful working relationships with various members of the media.
- Ability to represent and promote the UNDP brand in virtual communities / networks and promote citizen engagement in UNDP's work.
Management and Coordination:
- Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
- Master's degree in communication, media relations, journalism, publishing or a related area.
- First level university degree with 4 years of experience may be considered in lieu of advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in communications or advocacy; (4 years of experience for Bachelor’s Degree holder);
- Experience working in print, audio-visual and/or social media is a requirement.
- Fluency in English and Arabic. Working knowledge of other UN language is desirable.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is desirable. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension