The USAID Office of Population and Reproductive Health (PRH) Communications Team is responsible for outreach and communications to both internal and external audiences and stakeholders. This function is critical to amplifying the priorities of this Administration and the contributions made by family planning and reproductive health programs at the Global Health Bureau to advance those priorities. Not having an adequately staffed communications team can result in poor communications and missed opportunities on many levels, including lack of support for PRH and GH leadership regarding comms and public affairs requests and issues.
The Communications Advisor is an integral part of the communications team and works under the guidance of the Senior Strategic Communications, Outreach and Public Affairs Advisor to articulate and implement communication and outreach priorities for USAID’s Office of Population and Reproductive Health (PRH). The team’s responsibilities include executing strategic internal and external communications for PRH; overseeing the development, publication and distribution of new materials; responding to requests for information from a variety of stakeholders; supporting the PRH front office with communications and public affairs needs; managing the PRH webpage and conducting wide-ranging and impactful social media campaigns, and assisting with special events planning.
The Communications Advisor works with the Agency’s Bureau of Legislative and Public Affairs (LPA) and represents PRH on the Global Health Bureau Communications Team. The Communications Advisor ranks tasks in order of importance and impending deadlines and handles several tasks simultaneously. The individual must develop a working knowledge of USAID and U.S. Government policies, PRH office priorities, and LPA and PRH communications needs. The individual must also gain a clear understanding of the Senior Strategic Communications, Outreach and Public Affairs Advisor role and be prepared to serve as a backstop in his/her absence.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with a minimum degree of supervision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Implement communications strategy for PRH under the direction of the Senior Technical Advisor:
- Define goals and strategies for improving the quality, consistency and effectiveness of Office communications and outreach
- Develop campaign strategies for global event days and special events/conferences
- Coordinate strategy and goals to further Bureau- and Agency-wide communications efforts
- Identify audiences for FP/RH information dissemination and outreach.
Conceptualize, research and write: Develop various internal and external documents, either directly or in coordination with technical staff and consultants. Documents could include, but are not limited to, issue briefs, country profiles, success stories, reports to Congress, newsletters and newsletter articles, Web news items, press releases, blog posts, and social media entries.
- Create comprehensive information packets for audiences including senior GH leadership, Agency leadership, general public and Congress
- Write and compile briefers and other tasks as assigned by Senior Technical Advisor
- Pitch stories and write articles for the Agency’s Impact Blog
- Document program activities and accomplishments; seek out success stories from partners and missions
- Manage PRH submissions to the Agency newsletter – The Front Page
- Review and edit external and internal documents from staff and partners; fact-check program materials
- Develop remarks and talking points for GH, Agency, and PRH Front Office leadership for public speaking engagements/events.
- Support branding compliance and answer questions regarding implementation
Lead the management and development of content, features and design ideas for external and internal websites, social media channels, and other online resources
- Lead the effort to update USAID’s PRH website
- Create new material and perform routine updates and maintenance
- Research and implement use of a variety of web-based media to promote USAID PRH accomplishments, in line with GH communications team and LPA communications goals. This may include blogs, online op/eds, USAID’s YouTube channel, social media platforms, new interactive content, etc.
- Create multimedia content showcasing USAID’s success in family planning programming
- Strategize the promotion of USAID’s accomplishments, successes, news and events via social media through the Agency’s, GH’s, and partners’ social media channels
Represent PRH on the Global Health Communications Team
- Participate as an active member of the Global Health Communications Team to holistically elevate the role of global health within and outside the Agency
- Liaise with and actively participate in the Agency’s Strategic Communications Group and Social Media Working Group, led by LPA; report out on meetings to GH Communications Team
- Contribute to GH communications strategy development and opportunities calendar
- Liaise with other GH communications officers as appropriate to incorporate PRH messages into broader GH communications initiatives
- Participate in professional continuing education, skills training and professional meetings to enhance relevant technical skills and career development
- Complete and execute an Individual Learning and Training Plan and Annual Work Plan
- Master’s degree with 5 years’ experience or Bachelor’s degree and 7 years’ experience or higher in communications, public health, international development or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in strategic communications, media relations and public affairs.
- Familiarity with international family planning and reproductive health
- Some travel may be required, domestic or international, averaging 1-2 trips per year.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills; writing sample will be requested
- US citizenship or US permanent residency with the ability to obtain and maintain Facility Access required.