The crisis that affected the North West and South West regions of Cameroon has damaged public infrastructures, broken social cohesion and slowed down economic development. With the aim to resolve the crisis, the President of the Republic called for a Major National Dialogue, that brought together more than 600 participants from all 10 regions of the country. Third quarter of participants to the Dialogue came from the NWSW regions. The Head of State instructed the Prime Minister, Head of the Government to preside over the Major National Dialogue. Among other recommendations, the Major National Dialogue recommended the reconstruction of North West and South West regions.
The Government of Cameroon and UNDP collaborated to the formulation of the Presidential Plan for Reconstruction and Development (PPRD) of the North West and South West regions. The PPRD is a component of the National Development Plan 2020-2030 (post DSCE), aiming at reducing the effects of the socio-political and security crisis for the affected communities in the NW/SW regions. The PPRD feeds into the government efforts to resolve the current crisis. This initiative is complementary to other key reforms such as the establishment of a Special Status for the NW/SW regions.
Confronted with complex development challenges, the Government intends to emphasize on governance, economic recovery and crisis prevention in order to consolidate the peace process. Through the PPRD, the government aims at reinforcing the resilience and development of the populations in the affected regions of North West and South West. The Government envisages to restore social cohesion, provide livelihood opportunities and increase access to basic services for communities in the NW/SW regions. Finally, through the PPRD, the Government ambitions to bring about short and medium terms transformational changes.
The United Nations Development Programme is the implementing partner and fund manager of the PPRD. The program will be implemented through a dedicated accelerated execution modality over a period of 2 years. UNDP will build on its extensive experience to implement similar Recovery and Reconstruction large programs. The PPRD will consolidate peace in the NW/SW regions, by building capacity at national and local levels to address the underlying structural causes of vulnerability, marginalization and insecurity. To this end, the PPRD is articulated around 3 key pillars: social cohesion, rehabilitation of infrastructures for basic services and local economic revitalization.
In order to contribute to the implementation of the PPRD, UNDP Cameroon is looking for an individual to act as the Civil Engineer of the Programme.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative and the PPRD Project Manager (PPRDPM), the Civil Engineer will be based in Buea and will assist the PPRDPM in the day-to-day management of the Programme activities.
He or she will be responsible for ensuring the following results:
- Estimates of construction/rehabilitation projects are carried out in each area of intervention;
- Tender documents are developed, published and service providers are selected in accordance with UNDP criteria and standards;
- Construction and other related issue works implemented by service providers are carried out within the time limits in accordance with the specifications established in the service contracts;
In order to achieve his or her results, he or she will be specifically responsible for the following tasks:
- Conducting field surveys in all areas covered by the PPRD programme;
- Drafting tender documents and participating in the selection process of service providers;
- Sensitizing the service providers to the use of local labour in collaboration with the regional Coordinator;
- Ensuring the monitoring and control of construction works;
- If necessary, providing technical advice to the service providers for the proper implementation of the construction sites;
- Ensuring compliance with the technical specifications as established in the contracts;
- Monitor the partial acceptance of the work in accordance with the payment instalments provided for;
- Keep the DRR and the project coordinator informed of the progress of the work;
- Draw up reports on the progress of the work before the payment instalments are made;
- Follow the deadlines set out in the timetables;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the activities included in the work plan established by the project coordinator, and ensure that the established deadlines are met;
- Carry out any other task entrusted to him/her by the DRR and the project manager or the UNDP Resident Representative in the context of achieving the results of the PPRD programme.
Impact of Results
The key result of the PPRDCE will have a strong impact in implementing the programme and delivering results.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Scales up innovation for greater impact;
- Expands understanding of the subject by clients an inspires action
- Facilitates learning by failure and measured risk taking through pilots
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills required;
- Ability to plan own work, manage conflicting priorities, report on work progress and delivery outputs in a punctual manner;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Sets clear performance goals and standards; executes responsibilities accordingly.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Identifies and nurtures collaborations between diverse professions
- Creates environment of excellence, collaboration and engagement
- Takes appropriate and timely people management decisions
- Resolves complex conflicts, makes difficult people management choices
- Takes an active interest in coaching others
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Effectively represents division /team / program / project in formal settings
- Communicates new ideas and approaches for the division / team / program / project in a convincing manner
- Articulates a compelling summary of UNDP’s value added in dynamic operating contexts / partnership dialogues
- Combines the capacity to identify opportunities, establish frameworks for interaction and maintain and grow relationships
- Ability to get things done
- Creates new and better services
- Creates an environment that fosters excitement for work
- Uses substantive mastery to model excellence and motivate performance
- Role models sound judgement and solution-orientation in delivering results in complex conditions
- Responds to demands and pressure with a command of situational leadership and judgement
- Demonstrating and applying professional and/or technical expertise/knowledge of the post or discipline.
- Applies knowledge to support the unit/branch’s objectives and to further the mandate of the UNDP
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself personally
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of the current program guidelines and project management tools and manages the use of these regularly in work assignments
- Effectively managing core and non-core resources to achieve organizational results.
- Identifies country needs and strategies using a fact-based approach
- Sets performance standards, monitors progress and intervenes at an early stage to ensure results are in accordance with agreed-upon quality and timeframes and reports on it
- Ability to engage with partners and forge productive working relationships
- Demonstrates excellent inter-personal skills;
- Possesses the ability to motivate staff and mobilize colleagues and partners in the best interest of achieving results.
Representation and advocacy
- Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues)
- Advocates for the inclusion of UNDP’s focus areas in the public policy agenda
- Brings visibility and sensitizes decision makers to relevant emerging issues
- Builds consensus concerning UNDP’s strategic agenda with partners on joint initiatives
- Leverages UNDP’s multidisciplinary expertise to influence the shape of policies and programs
- Demonstrates political/cultural acumen in proposing technically sound, fact-based approaches/solutions
- Dialogues with national counterparts and other stakeholders to strengthen advocacy efforts, incorporating country, regional and global perspectives
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity, political savvy and intellectual capacity in handling disagreements with UNDP’s policy agenda in order to promote and position UNDP in complex environments
- Maintaining a professional profile while under stress
- Able to work under pressure and coordinate multiple activities and processes simultaneously;
- Maintains a respectful and responsible work style;
- Manages emotions.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Proven networking, teambuilding, organizational and communication skills.
- Practical experience of at least five (05) years in the conduct of works, civil engineering design, study and execution of construction/rehabilitation projects, monitoring and execution of works, dimensioning and execution of major works, etc.;
- Have participated in at least one (02) of the studies: (design, calculation of structures, etc.)
- Have proven experience in civil engineering activities in Cameroon and specifically in the NW/SW region;
- Have a good knowledge of UNDP and its interventions in the NW/SW regions;
- Be fully available during the execution of the contract;
- Have a good capacity for synthesis and writing;
- Have an ability to work independently;
- Have carried out similar activities in the SW/NW regions (strong asset).
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
· Capacity to work under pressure, manage stress and adapt to rapidly evolving situations;
- Ability to use computers and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages (MS Word, Excel, etc…)
Contract Duration: ONE YEAR