CARE seeks a Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Kayd for Somalia Resilient and Inclusive Economic Development (RIED) activity. The activity seeks to accelerate economic recovery in south-west Somalia by increasing individual, household, community, and systemic resilience through rural and urban economic diversification. This procurement is approximately in the range of $50-100 million and will be released in September 2021.
The Chief of Party is accountable for the overall vision and leadership of the project and is accountable for delivering results. The successful candidate should possess significant experience managing program, financial, and operations of USAID or other international donor-funded projects.
International allowances are available. This position is contingent upon award and funding.
· Oversee the completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, in accordance with the project work plan.
· Build and maintain productive working relationships with USAID, project partners, and key stakeholders. Serve as the primary liaison among all project stakeholders.
· Manage the project’s operational, financial, and administrative priorities; direct the planning and budgeting processes. Create or adapt management systems in line with CARE’s standard operating procedures, ensuring consistency with project needs.
· Build partnerships among international, national, and community-level stakeholders.
· Design and oversee an annual project cycle in accordance with USAID’s annual planning cycles.
· With staff and partners, translate project goals and objectives into implementable strategies and plans. Oversee the preparation of quarterly and annual project activity reports, M&E reports, and other deliverables, as specified in the agreement. Report against the project’s targets.
· Represent the project at high-level meetings, conferences, and other fora.
· Guide team members to fulfill the project’s strategic goals and objectives.
· Supervise and mentor senior staff, delegating responsibilities as appropriate. Clearly communicate expectations for staff performance.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
· Master’s degree in agriculture, management, economics, international development, social sciences, or a related field.
· Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in international development project management (particularly on USAID projects) as Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, or senior management experience in Gender & Youth Livelihoods, Value Chain Development, Agribusiness, Market Systems, Private Sector Engagement, Capacity Building and Partnerships.
· Experience with two or more technical areas of this program, including extensive experience overseeing and developing complex agricultural and market systems development programs.
· At least 5 years of experience working and living in East Africa and/or conflict zones. Previous experience in Somalia as well as working with IDP’s and refugees is an advantage but not a requirement.
· Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of similar-sized international donor-supported programs, with skills in strategic planning and thinking, management, supervision and budgeting, and experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
· Demonstrated skills building and maintaining relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects, and stakeholders, including private sector stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
· Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
· Experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
· Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
· Experience managing required programmatic and financial reporting requirements. Experience with M&E is a plus.
· Fluency in English is required; knowledge of local languages is a plus.
· Ability to travel within Somalia as required and as the security situation allows.