At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS Trustee Chair in Chinese Business and Economics is dedicated to providing thought leadership for the policy community about the dynamics of China’s economy and its implications for industries and other countries. Our work – research, publications, events & outreach – focuses on China’s overall economic trajectory, industrial policy, and America’s China policy.
The Trustee Chair in Chinese Business and Economics is recruiting an associate director who is highly motivated, professional, and has a strong interest in China’s political economy, domestic and international. The associate director is responsible for managing the administration, operations, and strategic goals of the Trustee Chair in pursuit of its mission in coordination with the program director. The associate director is an integral part of the team and responsible for overseeing a wide range of program components, including: organizing program events, managing the budget and financial reporting, coordinating the program director’s calendar, managing the internship program, providing support for visiting fellows, assisting with editing of program reports and use of social media, and liaising with research programs and support offices at CSIS and with members of the policy community outside of CSIS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Act as the program director’s proxy on all administrative aspects of the program.
• Manage day-to-day office operations, including supervision of other administrative staff members.
• Manage program finances, including all project-related budgets, day-to-day expense management, and preparation for internal budget reviews.
• Draft program correspondence, MOUs, and other official agreements.
• Support senior program staff, including through logistics, scheduling, and program communication and collaboration with other CSIS departments and operations.
• Support recruitment, hire, and manage program interns.
• Support hiring of full-time staff.
• Manages external communications, including maintenance of contacts databases, sending of event invitations, drafting of the program newsletter, and dissemination of program publications in all formats.
• Oversees the program’s internship program and provides support to its visiting fellows.
• Assist in editing program publications and internal documents.
• Represents the program vis-à-vis other research programs and functional support offices within CSIS and vis-à-vis external stakeholders in government, the private sector, and the non-profit community in the United States, China and elsewhere.
II. Project Management
• Supports program director in management of all program projects, including obtaining and monitoring funding, research, preparation of publications, organizing events, and supervising promotional activities.
• Foster projects from the ideation stage through planning and implementation phases.
• Communicate across CSIS’s 30+ research and administrative departments.
III. Strategic Planning
• Generate new ideas for program growth and development by actively searching for new donor opportunities.
• Contribute to the development and management of short- and long-term strategic goals and contribute to the development and implementation of program’s mission.
• Coordinate with CSIS Corporate Relations to systematically manage the program’s relationship with current and prospective donors.
• Plan and execute regular Strategic Review meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum 4 years of relevant experience required.
• Strong attention to detail, professionalism, good judgment, time management and leadership skills are essential.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
• Ability to multitask and to work closely with a range of individuals with diverse backgrounds, dispositions, and executive levels.
• Ability to write business correspondence and other relevant writing assignments.
• Ability to build complex project budgets and manage expenses.
• A positive attitude, creative outlook, and ability to project a positive and professional image to the public, co-workers, partners, and CSIS partners.
• Familiarity with and interest in contemporary China and a passion for project management is a plus.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
• The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Performances of duties require the use of hands and fingers to handle or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, writing sample, and college transcript at: https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.