In June 2020, the foundation hired a Chief Communications Officer and established a new Communications Division to coordinate the foundation\u2019s global communications strategy. The division brings together internal and external communications to advance the foundation\u2019s mission of a more equitable world.
The Global Content and Campaigns team is responsible for targeting and engaging priority audiences with compelling content and campaigns to help advance our advocacy and programmatic goals and support the foundation\u2019s brand. The team is responsible for the development and implementation of integrated marketing campaigns and leading foundation brand channels in alignment with our priorities. The team includes Goalkeepers, gatesfoundation.org, The Optimist, the Discovery Center, and the channel strategy and social media management for the foundation and our leadership.
The Content and Campaigns team develops creative strategy and content in alignment with program strategies and brand guidelines to improve audience engagement and drive advocacy and brand goals. The team defines the creative direction in alignment with the brand strategy and works with our program and regional communications functions to develop and implement premier content for a variety of digital channels and campaigns.
The Associate Communications Officer (ACO), Global Content and Campaigns is a key member of the Content team, and a member of the broader Communications Division. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Content, the position is intended to be based in Seattle and will work collaboratively with colleagues across the foundation\u2019s global offices. The role will support the Senior Communications Officers in the development, visioning, direction, and editing, and approvals of content for key campaigns, moments, and across all digital channels. Content often includes video, audio, motion design, photography, traditional design, data visualization, and copy.
Interest in story spotting, writing, insights-based marketing strategic audience-first and digital-first positioning, and programmatic content/data are highly encouraged. The role is also vital in building an inclusive culture that engages, encourages, and promotes diverse voices and perspectives. This position is a limited-term position for 36 months.
What You'll Do
- Play an active role as a collaborative and contributing member of the Communications division.
- Support the Senior Communications Officers on the content team with the development and delivery of various content projects aligned to editorial planning, use of leadership voice, or key advocacy moments.
- Lead expansive but rapid process to ensure strategic alignment, clear voice, seamless global integration, and timely execution of brand campaign results across organization and partners.
- Support the efforts of turning internal program and advocacy strategies into clear and concise creative briefs for external vendors that result in high quality, compelling content.
- Effectively collaborate with diverse agencies/contractors, and ensure they have timely and clear direction and next steps.
- Partner with other content, brand, channels, and campaigns colleagues and creative partners to deliver content that informs, engages, and inspires target audiences.
- Champion the integration of the foundation\u2019s brand strategy into content development in a way that engages and grows audiences in target markets.
- Track and organize the work of the Content team to ensure cross-channel integration, proper timelines and approvals, and timely execution.
- Bachelor\u2019s degree in relevant field; Communications, Marketing, English, Journalism, Literature, Public Relations, Political Science, or other relevant area of study.
- A minimum of 5+ years of dynamic professional experience in a similar role in communications, design, marketing, journalism, or a related field.
- Highly organized and effective, possess excellent judgement with a proven ability to handle multiple tasks, complex issues, and opposing priorities with excellent attention to detail.
- Experience in a dynamic environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple and competing demands and establish priorities, while providing continual attention to detail.
- Ability to work across internal teams and global content partners and vendors, with strong communication skills.
- Commitment to offer creative solutions to complex problems and translate options into implementable solutions.
- Proven flexibility to new challenges and situations.
- Strong and valued teammate with a sense of humor and humility and passion for the foundation\u2019s mission.
- A base of knowledge in content development and production, and digital platforms.
- Understanding of key external communications trends, channels, and distribution methods.
- Background in storytelling, marketing, or digital content production preferred.
- Experience working in non-profit/public health, government, communications agency, or private sector organization is strongly preferred.
- Preference for international experience or shown cultural competency. Proficiency in additional languages a plus.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Depending upon your work location, we may require proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 and any recommended booster doses. All employees based in the United States are to provide proof of full vaccination upon hire and any recommended boosters, subject to applicable laws.
If you require assistance due to a disability in the application or recruitment process, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We\u2019re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve\u2014in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs\u2014and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve our mission will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and prior protected activity.