In collaboration with its partners, Save the Children is present in the provinces of Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Kasai Oriental, Lomami and Kinshasa, implementing more than 30 grants worth 35 million US dollars per year, with around 400 country staff members, providing humanitarian and social services to more than 1 million children each year in the DRC in the following areas: education, child protection, health and nutrition, etc.
To provide effective management oversight of the implementation of Save the Children’s programme plans in the area, through direct and partner led activities. The post holder will firmly institute finance, human resources and operations systems in the area of operation and will ensure effective representation of Save the Children to local authorities, INGOs and NGOS, and in other forums. The post holder will be a high performing team builder, sensitive to the cultural, political and security environment of DRC and will lead and manage staff covering operations and programmes (Currently Child Protection, Health/Nutrition and Education). The Area Manager is responsible for ensuring the development of all staff, and for identifying needs and resources and elaborating program recommendations, in line with Save the Children’s national and global priorities.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualifications and experience
* Proven experience in grant management, including budget holding and donor reporting and effective financial and budgetary control in securing and managing grants.
* Experience in management of Human Resources, finance, logistics, administration,
* Proven skills/experience in security management in instable / conflict environments.
* Proven skills in programme management and project administration.
* Strong skills in people management, moderation, conflict resolution and capacity-building skills
* Skills & experience in project/programme monitoring review, reporting and evaluation.
* Ability to represent Save the Children, promote and advocate for children’s rights and maintain good relations at a provincial level with donors, United Nations organisations, international and national Non-Governmental Organizations and local authorities.
* Fluency in written and spoken French and working proficiency of English
* Ability to work with limited supervision
* Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims values and principles
* Experience in working in remote / isolated conditions, an asset
* Background/familiarity with Emergency response.
* Knowledge and working experience of Child’s Rights Programming approach.
Experience in promoting children’s participation in programming, design, implementation and evaluation.
Contract length: 24 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
* Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
* We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
* Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
* Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.