*The Pacific Community (SPC) invites applications for the position of Analyst Developer within* its Fisheries, Aquaculture and Marine Ecosystems Division located at its headquarters in Noumea, New Caledonia.
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Fisheries, Aquaculture and Marine Ecosystems (FAME) Division includes the Oceanic Fisheries Programme (OFP) and Coastal Fisheries Programme (CFP). The goal of the OFP is to ensure fisheries that exploit the region’s resources of tuna, billfish and related species are managed for economic and ecological sustainability using the best available scientific information. In pursuing this goal, the OFP provides scientific support for the management of fisheries for tuna and associated species, with a strong focus on stock assessment and modelling, fisheries and ecosystem monitoring and analysis and data management. The OFP works closely with member countries and territories, the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission, the Forum Fisheries Agency, the Parties to the Nauru Agreement and other regional and sub-regional entities.
The role – the Analyst Developer will develop several cutting-edge web-based systems and mobile device tools to acquire data from Pacific tuna fisheries at sea and at points of offloading the catch. This position will report to the Systems Development Manager and work closely with the Senior Analyst Developer. This position is also responsible of the design and deployment of a full testing strategy. The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
OFP database management systems
• Design, develop, document and maintain the regional tuna fisheries database systems for the registration, entry, importing and querying of data
• Dissemination of OFP data and data summaries in accordance with the OFP policy on the dissemination of data, as requested
Fishery monitoring and data management support for SPC members
• Develop and maintain national fisheries database management systems, in particular, the TUFMAN2 tuna fisheries database management system
• Develop and maintain mobile applications to be used to collect tuna fisheries data
Capacity building of SPC members
• Train national staff in the use of fisheries database management systems and mobile applications
• Support the countries in a timely manner
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
• Tertiary degree in Information technology
2. Technical expertise
• At least three years’ experience developing and maintaining large-scale relational database management systems, ideally using MS SQL SERVER
• Strong understanding of Git/GitHub
• Demonstrated experience in the design and development of mobile device (e.g. tablet) applications/user interfaces
• Experience as an Analyst, working with the client to get their information system requirements
• Good knowledge of networking, network hardware and operating systems
3. Language skills
• Good English communication skills
4. Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
• A proactive and positive team player able to work effectively in a multicultural and multilingual environment
• Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Due to the current travel restrictions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, and the priority SPC places on its staff safety, health and well-being, please note that there may be delays in taking up the appointment. These matters will be discussed thoroughly with successful candidates. In most cases, any appointment and on-boarding would only commence when relocation to the duty station is permitted.
Remuneration – the Analyst Developer is a Band 9 position in SPC’s 2020 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 3,140–3,829 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 462,468–563,910 (USD 4,334–5,284; EUR 3,875–4,726). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is faire, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.