Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- The Drop Zone Coordinator (DZC) is in charge of identification & preparation of the drop zone & security zone site as per provided guidelines & standards outlined in the “air operation SOP's hand book” & the “air drop field manual”.
- The DZC will act as the safety officer at the drop zone & security zone & is directly responsible for all ground safety during the airdrop.
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator or Team Leader, prepare drop zone & materials prior to receipt of drops & confirming readiness to receive drops.
- Provide leadership in specific technical areas of competence, i.e. air lift & drop zone coordination.
- In coordination with the Logistics Officer, provide ground clearance for final dropping to take place.
- Provide daily situation report including, weather, security & progress of commodity receipt report at the drop site against expected consignment.
- Manage logistics operations at the drop site, including coordinating with local authorities (RRC / RRA) to secure the drop zone during the drops or cargo receipt in a safe manner.
- Provide proper documentation for cargo hand over (food & non food commodities) at the drop zone to the designated respective CP or program appointed staff for distribution.
- Ensure all food dropped is reconstituted / re-bagged & accounted for including loses realised upon ground impact.
- Organise regular meetings with the authorities & communicate, the purpose of the drops & expectations from them to ensure crowd control & thus have safe air drops.
- Maintain communication with the Logistics Officer at CO on the situation on ground provide periodic updates on the progress of activities & devise measures for improvement at field level where necessary.
- Consolidate & provide daily air delivery / drop report through designated radio rooms or direct to Logistics Officer for air operations.
- DZC shall participate in assessment of new drop sites & demarcation of drop zones in the emergency areas.
- Ensure that all communication gadgets provided are functional & faulty ones replaced timely to avoid cancellation of flights due to faulty communication gadgets.
- Ensure, timely accurate & complete drop zone coordinates are provided to the designated focal personnel prior to receipt of drops.
- Supervise staff and local manpower to clear the drop zone timely & ensure maximum drops per day thus optimum use of air assets.
- Ensure that all staff are adequately trained & coordinated to achieve high working standards.
- The Air Drop Coordinator will report to the Logistics Officer for air operations & is under the functional supervision of the Head of Logistics of South Sudan in Juba.
This role has no team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Commitment, dedication & work ethics highly required in this job.
- Good organization & planning skills possess the ability to interpret & analyse a wide variety of data, identify & resolve data discrepancies & operational problems.
- A high sense of initiative & good judgment, ability to conduct field assessments & to handle a large volume of work quickly & accurately under time constraints.
- Customer service oriented individual with the ability to work effectively with people of different national & cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to resolve conflicts & have a clean accountable track record.
- Secondary School Education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses in a field related to aviation sector particularly cargo handling or any training related to aviation cargo transport activities, will be an added advantage.
- At least 1 year of progressively responsible Aviation cargo transport or warehousing experience with minimum 1 year in the field of aviation logistics, transport, warehouse operations or another related field.
- Good working knowledge & experience using MS Office applications.
- Very good command of English language & knowledge of local Arabic.
- Experience of working in Africa is an advantage.
Other relevant information:
- The DZC will be based in the field with extensive travel to various emergency areas in South Sudan.