Context : In Cameroon, based in Buea
Action Against Hunger has been present in Cameroon since 1998. Since 2014, our action focuse mainly in the Eastern Region and the Far North of the country on emergency programs initiated with Central African refugees and affected host communities by socio-political unrest in CAR and violence related to Boko Haram activity in the Lake Chad region. ACF has set up long-term nutrition and water, sanitation and hygiene programs with the support of ECHO and SIDA for more than 150,000 beneficiaries. Since the end of 2018, ACF, under the name of Action Against Hunger (AAH), is also present in the South-West, in support of the crisis that rages in this region.
Our 2020 strategy is based on responding to immediate humanitarian needs and contributing to economic recovery and strengthening resilience and social cohesion in Cameroon.
There are 140 employees on the mission, spread over 5 bases: Batouri in the East, Maroua and Kousseri in the Far North, Buéa in the South West and coordination in Yaoundé.
Cameroon is a fairly stable country. However, the Far North region remains an area of great vigilance with the presence of Boko Haram fractions on the border with Nigeria. Similarly, the Northwest / Southwest regions are very unstable.
The size of the team is (22 staffs) composed of an assistant programme manager, nutrition supervisors, nurses and midwives from mobile rapid assessment team clinics, community mobilization supervisors, MHCPs (Mental Health and Care Practices) and 1 WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) technician and community mobilization facilitators.
You will be in charge to ensure the implementation of the nutrition and health programme in direct implementation through 3 mobile clinics as part of the emergency response to the nutrition/health needs of the populations affected by the crisis in the south-western region of Cameroon.
More precisely your main objectives will be :
Establish and supervise activities in the framework of nutritional projects
- Sharing its analysis of the needs of the geographical area
- Provide relevant inputs for the formulation of project proposals
- Ensuring the application of the minimum medical and nutritional packages
- To promote and supervise the quality of care for the centre's beneficiaries.
- Set up and monitor the data collection system on medical and nutritional care
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of nutrition surveys
Organise staff development programmes for the AAH teams
- Train and develop the skills of ACF teams
- Participate in the program team recruitment process
- Identify the training needs of the teams
- Design, organize and conduct training sessions for its teams
Training and managing the programme team
- Organize and lead team meetings and individual items
- Develop and monitor individual action plans of team members
- Manage schedules, distribution and coordination of the team's work
- Ensure the appraisal interviews of the members of his team
Develop and direct operations
- Proposing an operational strategy adapted to the local situation
- Contribute to the drafting of new projects
- Presenting the programme to partners (authorities, donors, etc.)
- Ensure the follow-up of the budget and logistics of the programme
Represent AAH and develop local partnerships
- Represent ACF during meetings with the authorities, visits to donors, partners, etc.
- Identify partners, local actors and potential partnerships
Developing and structuring communication with local stakeholders
You are recognized for your experience in project cycle management and you have good skills in planning and organizing your activities. You have excellent writing and interpersonal skills, and know how to communicate effectively and persuasively. Fluency in English is mandatory and some knowledge of French is required. You have the ability to transmit your knowledge to teams, you have a sense of organization and anticipation. Knowledge of the Cameroonian context and particularly the South-West and North-West regions is highly desirable. Experience in the implementation of the Integrated Community Case Management (iCCM) approach would be an asset.
Length of contract : 6 months
Starting date : March 1st, 2019
Status: Long-term contract, provided by ACF according to the French legislation.
Remuneration and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from €2010 to €2335€ upon experience.
- Per diem and living allowance: around €521 (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
- +16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen
- +€450 gross monthly allowance related to the context.
- +Child allowance: €1500 /year per child (limited to €6000)
Transportation and accommodation:
Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
Individual room in guesthouse covered
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- 20 RnR per year.
- 215 € at each RnR period (every 12 weeks).
- Coverage of the transportation expenses to the RnR area of reference.
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- 2/3 days training on financial tools before departure
- Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- Intermission Workshop once a year
Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request
Why join us ?
This is a challenging position with interesting challenges aimed at directly providing a comprehensive health/nutrition care package to crisis-affected populations in English-speaking areas, integrating an innovative community-based approach. This mission includes strong community empowerment and a psychosocial component to provide support to people affected by trauma or gender-based violence.