Position Start Date: 01.04.2020
Duration: 4 months
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief organization, based in Lausanne (Switzerland). Every year our projects support more than 2 million children (3 million in 2016) and their families in over 35 countries. We are part of the Terre des hommes International Federation (TDHIF), with 9 other sister organizations in Switzerland, Europe and Canada.
Tdh has been present in Iraq since 2014 with NFI distributions in Dohuk Governorate and in October 2015 launched unconditional cash assistance with the support of Swiss Solidarity. Since these first interventions, Tdh is now present in eleven districts (Anah, Al-Qa’im, Haditha, Tal Afar, West and East Shirqat, Tikrit, Baiji, Hawija, Kirkuk and Tooz) across four Governorates (Salah al-Din, Kirkuk, Nineveh and Al-Anbar) with operations in the two latter districts since 2017 as Tdh followed the frontlines to provide emergency assistance. Tdh was the first INGO to have field offices in Tikrit, Shirqat, Tal Afar and Anah.
Tdh’s strategy consists on providing emergency assistance in hard-to-reach and newly accessible areas with an integrated emergency response to conflict affected people while building the capacity of its current response in areas where services are being re-established.
In his/her capacity as representative of Tdh, the WASH Project Manager supervises Wash in school and Water treatment Plan (WTP) project and operations activities being implemented in the framework of Tdh Projects. S/he participates in the assessment, network equipment’s, testing and maintenance activities, and supervises and follows-up activities works by Tdh staff or external service providers or contractor. S/he validates the quality of the work in regard to the Tdh mandate and commitments and international standards.
- Be responsible for the implementation of the WASH maintenance, rehabilitation, and operation activities on water treatment plants and water network.
- Ensure implementation of activities in line with relevant national/international standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Conduct assessments on WTPs and networks equipment.
- Provide professional guidance for team members, supervise and train the field teams.
- Assist on designing new activities and projects.
- Collect data from field activities, ensure proper record of them, and prepare daily follow up and weekly/monthly reports on global WASH activities.
- Prepare reports on activities for donors and partners.
- Liaise with the local government officials, other NGOs and community-based organization’s (CBO) at the community level to ensure their cooperation and coordination for effective implementation of the program in the areas, as well as proper use of resources.
- Develop training on WASH technical and methodological aspects and implement them with beneficiaries.
- Act as the link/synergy between the WASH project and the other projects developed within the delegation.
- Education degree in a relevant field such as hydrology, hydraulic, geology, civil engineering, environmental engineering.
- Project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in development programmes.
- 2-5 years previous work experience in a relevant position.
- Proven capabilities in leadership and management required.
- Good skills in written and spoken English. Arabic is an asset.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms.
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure.
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.
Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code.
Salary range: 2’950 CHF (~2’550 €) < > 4'300 CHF (~3’700 €) net /month according to experience x 13. Holidays: 25 days per year. Local accommodation and transportation, health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?