Are you an experienced journalist or writer and skilled in story telling? Would you like to dedicate some of your time to human rights and social justice? Then join the Communications team of human rights NGO, Justice and Peace, in The Hague!
Volunteer Journalist / Writer
4 – 8 hours a week
Justice and Peace Netherlands is a non-profit organisation based in The Hague that is dedicated to defending and promoting respect for human rights and social justice, worldwide and in the Netherlands. Empowering change on the local level for human rights – that is our mission. To achieve this, we focus on pragmatic and solutions-based approaches to promoting and protecting the respect for human rights, for everyone, everywhere.
We support human rights defenders who work at the local level worldwide with trainings, our temporary relocation programme Shelter City, research and advocacy. We are also dedicated to an equitable treatment and protection of refugees. In 2019, we set up a new community sponsorship initiative Samen Hier to establish and guide local Welcome Groups of five with a refugee.
To inspire more people to make a change for human rights, we publish monthly ‘Change Maker Stories’. Whether they are international human rights defenders standing up for the rights and freedoms of others, or local people committed to supporting newcomers, we believe their stories should be told. That is why we are looking for one or more passionate volunteers to support us in interviewing and writing these ‘Change Maker Stories’.
What will you do?
- Prepare interviews and contact change makers;
- Carry out interviews (live or by phone/Skype) and record them;
- Transcribe and write activating and inspiring stories in our ‘Change Maker Stories’ format;
- Create Dutch and English translations (if possible – see below for language requirements);
- Take photos of change makers you interview (camera provided, if possible)
- Write other texts where needed.
- Education or experience in journalism, carrying out interviews, writing, and story-telling;
- Have a strong interest with the field of human rights and migration;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English language (oral and written skills in Dutch an asset);
- Able to quickly master the vision of Justice and Peace and are able to translate this into clear and appealing texts;
- Thrive in an international environment in which you work together with people from different cultural backgrounds;
- Able to work in a fast-paced working environment.
- Practical work experience with an international human rights NGO;
- A dynamic volunteer position in which you work together with human rights defenders and social organisations;
- Opportunity to work in a dynamic and sociable team;
- Full reimbursement of travel expenses (2nd class public transport);
- A workplace at our great office (Het Nutshuis) in The Hague city center;
- Fresh coffee (Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte Macchiato … we have everything!)
- 50% discount on your lunch at the June Café at Het Nutshuis.