Under the guidance and supervision of the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (UNRCO) Team Leader or whom the Resident Coordinator may designate, the Programme and Operations Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Programme and Operations Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Programme and Operations Assistant works in close collaboration with all Resident Coordination Office (RCO) staff and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
The position is especially significant during this time as the UN System is undergoing major reforms and RCOs have been mandated to carry out new functions in line with the UN SG Reforms and to support the ongoing coordination structure and efforts under the UNDCS.
Summary of Key Functions:
The Programme and Operations Assistant (POA) will be responsible for the day to day support of the RCO, including coordination, financial and procurement issues, logistical support for the RCO, and administration. The POA will be responsible for providing support to the preparation of required documentation and any administrative activities that management may require. S/he will also provide support to the preparation of field missions and visibility events. The POA works in a close collaboration with the staff of the RCO to expedite coordination and with UNDP staff to seek guidance on operational issues.
The POA will be expected to perform the duties in accordance with UNDP policy and procedures, including procurement regulations and guided by the overall direction provided by the Development Coordination Office. The functions/duties/ key results of this job description are generic and are not exhaustive and additional duties may be assigned at the discretion of the supervisor and based on consultation with the individual holding the position.
- Contribute to the coordination efforts to ensure UNDCS and SDG results, and specifically supporting the UNDCS Coordination Structure (Results and Working Groups) as needed;
- Closely follow and support the Operation Management Team towards the operationalization of the Business Operations Strategy;
- Support the annual review reporting process, and, the UNDCS Evaluation, as needed;
- Support in the annual reporting to the Information Management System (IMS) and the rollout of UN INFO.
- Support the RCO and UNCT in coordinating ad hoc reporting;
- Support procurement activities in compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control;
- Provide assistance to the RCO team during procurement and contracting;
- Support the development and monitoring of the RCO budget;
- Provide assistance to the RCO team during financial and human resource processes as required and when necessary.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the organization of events, missions, workshops and meetings, organize travel including purchase of tickets, conference facilities arrangements;
- Assist the RCO team, including consultants, in making the necessary travel arrangements (i.e. travel tickets, hotel reservations, DSAs, etc.)
- Perform any other administrative and logistical duties as required and when necessary.
- Translate documents from English to Turkish and vice versa
- Develop initial drafts of the reports/minutes of meetings in English;
- Provide assistance to the RCO team in filing related information, documentation and correspondences;
- Assist in telephone inquiries, mail and e-mail transmissions and co-ordination of appointments.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, International Relations, Social Science, Political Science or related field
- 3 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service.
- Prior experience in Resident Coordinator Office considered a major asset.
- A 1-year of experience in a Programme and Operational role in a UN agency or in RCO considered a major asset.
- Prior experience working with high level stakeholders such as Government counterparts, UN Representatives, etc, considered an asset.
- Experience with UNDP software such as Atlas, IRIS, etc. considered an asset
- Experience with UNDP procurement processes, such including on Vendor Forms and Canvass Forms.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Fluency in English and Turkish
The incumbent of the position should ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender is respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced;
- zero tolerance principle to sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse is prioritized.
UNDP prioritizes gender equality and women's empowerment approach in all its actions, workplace relations and implementations as well as gender parity in representation to create a workplace which is equally inclusive of women, men and persons with other gender identities. Temporary special measures will be instituted to ensure appointment of personnel of under-represented genders at grades and in roles where they are under-represented
Qualified women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: Until 31 December 2020