About Hatua Network
Link to our website: www.hatuanetwork.org
In Kenya, and across the continent, today’s youth bulge is a unique opportunity for economic growth and development. Hatua Network is a community organization working to simultaneously address the needs of youth and employers, thereby strengthening the supply and demand sides of Mombasa’s employment market.
We do so by providing top performing students from low income families with scholarships, mentoring, career guidance and access to career opportunities. These programs enable youth to develop the character, values, skills and networks they need to successfully contribute to and benefit from Kenya’s growing economy.
Our transformative, interlocking programs support youth over a period of 10 years, through high-school mentoring, leadership development for secondary grads, one-on-one professional career coaching for university students, and career linkages for our tertiary graduates. Throughout we work closely with the private sector to source for mentors and career opportunities for our youth, while ensuring our programs prepare youth with the skills and character traits employers seek.
To date we are serving 560 young people, including 470 of whom we are currently sponsoring and mentoring through secondary and tertiary education, and 90 who have completed college or university. Of those who graduated more than 1year ago 93% are working, earning an average income that is 3X the combined average income of their parents. This is a total transformation from poverty to professional careers.
About the role
As University Career Guidance Coordinator, you will oversee and drive a wide range of programmatic activities and learning opportunities, which together with the Hatua scholarship ensure that our students gain relevant exposure, clarity around their career interests and CV building experiences while still in school and build a professional network through which they can access career opportunities after graduation.
This includes coordinating our flagship professional mentoring program and implementing and innovating Hatua's diverse skill and career building initiatives.
Your success means that our recent graduates will transit into the workplace and that income levels in our community will rise.
Who we are looking for
- You are highly passionate about youth empowerment and have a strong interest in helping young adults develop soft skills and get ready for professional careers. Engaging with 230 university students on a regular basis sounds like your dream job.
- You have strong coaching, guidance and motivational skills.
- You have a track record of helping individuals along their growth journey, supporting them to figure out their goals and create action plans. You know how to build their confidence and urgency to meet their personal goals.
- You have strong project management skills, are highly organized and have succeeded in environments with many moving pieces and a wide range of stakeholders. Coordinating and following up to make sure that things are moving smoothly is one of your talents.
- You enjoy building strong relationships with many individuals, are excited about managing our volunteer network of 150 mentors and are confident approaching professionals to join as mentors.
- You are excited about figuring out how to deliver mentoring and skill building for youth remotely. Strong affinity to technology and previous exposure to eLearning is desirable.
- You have at least 3-5 years of professional experience, ideally in youth or talent development
- Event management experience is a plus, with ability to organize logistics and mobilize attendance
- You are forward thinking and excited to set and achieve big goals
- You have strong attention to detail when it comes to managing data
- Ability to work independently and communicate well through reports to management