The UN Resident Coordinator leads the UN Country Team in China, including all the UN entities present in China, and represents the UN Secretary General to the Government of China. The purpose of the Resident Coordinator system (RC system) is to bring together the different UN agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational activities at the country level, helping the UN to be a more relevant and reliable partner for governments.
The UN Resident Coordinators Office (RCO) supports the roles and functions of the UN Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team. The RCO provides inter-agency coordination support to the UN Country Team (UNCT) and its various inter-agency working mechanisms, including theme groups. Key functions of the RCO include: strategic analysis, planning and positioning of the Country Team; preparation and monitoring of the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF); support to joint UN programming and operations management; policy guidance; joint advocacy and communications (e.g. the management of the UN China website and production of joint communications materials), in order to enhance UN coherence and improve overall program impact of the UN System in China.
The RCO is looking for a motivated intern to join the team on a full-time basis and contribute to its crucial mandate of enhancing the coherence of the UN System in China.
The internship will provide the successful candidate with a unique opportunity to learn about how the UN system operates at the country level. Among others, the intern will: learn about the functions and roles of a wide range of UN agencies; gain insight into the country programming process of the UN; and become familiar with how the UN interacts with government counterparts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Resident Coordinator, the direct supervision of the Head of the RCO, and in close collaboration with RCO colleagues, the intern will:
- Provide relevant support to UN coordination mechanisms and UNCT activities, including UNCT meetings and joint work through UN Theme and sub-groups.
- Provide relevant support to the country programming process, including the preparation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework.
- Support the compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, background information and documentation as well as drafting of talking points and speeches for meetings, events and missions.
- Support the organization and follow-up of the inter-agency and high-level meetings or events attended by the RC or RCO staff members.
- Assist in updating and providing inputs to UN China website and other communications productions, including by proofreading English materials.
- Other administrative tasks as required.
Major in international development studies, international relations, social sciences, political science, law, economics, management, or other relevant fields.
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Enrolled in a Master's or in a Ph.D. programme
- In the final year of a Bachelor’s programme;
- Or within one year after graduation from a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. programme,
- Or be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program
Please submit your application with below documents in one PDF
a)CV and letter of motivation
b)Copy of school transcript
c)Indicate if you will be financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, government, foundation or scholarship programme, and the financial amount.
*Final selection criteria*
Documents to be included when submitting application
a)Please provide CV, one letter of motivation and a Copy of official school transcript while submitting application.
For people who apply from RCO Jobs, please note that the system will not accept the uploading of more than one document so please merge or scan all your documents into one prior to uploading.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the common UN system
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent drafting skills in English
- Resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment
- Responds positively to feedback
- Excellent computer skills (Including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment
- Strong team work skills
- Fluency in English with superior drafting skills. Good knowledge of Mandarin Chinese will be an asset.
Other competencies and attitude:
- Experience with other UN agencies, international organisations and/or non-governmental organisations would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the UN system and its mandate would be considered an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Interns must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan and medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. Any cost arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
- The full monthly stipend will be paid monthly. Interns will have 1.5 days of leave per month.
- Interns are responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed; Cost and arrangement for travel, visas, passports, accommodations and living expenses are the responsibility of the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or the intern.
- Intern must not apply for or be appointed to a position that should be encumbered by a staff number during the period of their internship. Interns are expected to fulfill the terms of their internships. Therefore, internship must not be foreshortened for the purposes of allowing an intern to apply for a position.
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent RCO in any official capacity.