UGANDA NATIONALS ONLY:
Water Engineer Field Manager
*Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. Learn more about our work at innoafirca.org.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified professional to join our Uganda team as a Senior Water Engineer Field Manager, based in the Mbale District of Uganda. The Senior Water Engineer Field Manager is responsible for designing, implementing, and managing iA’s solar water pumping systems, as well as completing maintenance and providing technical support to all existing water projects.
This position requires frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, as well as manage all stages of iA’s solar water pumping systems.
● Manage iA’s team of local water engineers, including creating weekly work plans and ensuring their successful implementation.
● Supervise the on-site work of all iA contractors, including hydrogeological surveys, drilling and pump tests, water quality analysis, and all construction and installation works related to ongoing water projects.
● Ensure contractors’ strict adherence to all project timelines, and provide senior management with daily updates and reports from the field.
● Work closely with iA’s international and local team of engineers and stakeholders to plan, design and oversee construction of sustainable solar water supply systems, including but not limited to sizing of pumps according to borehole characteristics and community water needs, as well as mapping water distribution points etc.
● Assess the need for maintenance work on iA’s existing water projects and identify any problems to provide sustainable solutions.
● Procure and source invoices of all approved system components to ensure organizational transparency and identification of reliable vendors with high quality, cost effective, items.
● Conduct effective community technical trainings and sensitization to all iA water beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees.
The ideal candidate must possess:
● Minimum of 5 years of managerial experience, preferably working with international teams.
● Minimum of 3 years of experience managing the successful construction and installation of solar water pumping systems.
● Passionate and effective team leader
● Exceptional interpersonal skills and a proven commitment to serve vulnerable communities.
● Professional experience working in the field of community development and exhibit detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
Commensurate with experience.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Water Resources Management, Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, or a closely related field.
● Extensive experience working with solar water pumping systems. (MUST)
● Experience designing water supply systems using design applications such as, AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, GIS and GPS applications, WaterCAD, Epanet, Protastructure, etc.
● Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software.
● Thrives in a fast-paced environment
● Comfortable working with an international team in different time zones, and ability to commit to flexible working hours, including weekends if needed.
● Relocation to Mbale District required.
● Native level written and spoken Lugisu, and/or other Bantu local language(s).
● Fluent written and spoken English.