The Technical Advisor reports to a Senior Technical Advisor or Director, serves as a subject matter expert in a specific program-related technical area and supports implementation of one or more projects. S/he provides technical expertise, analytical and writing support for key ThinkWell countries and projects, including in Bangladesh, while being based in the US. The Technical Advisor will support one key donor-funded project in Bangladesh, where ThinkWell leads a social enterprise incubator undertaking the ambitious goal of transforming a network of primary health care clinics into a financially sustainable pro-poor social enterprise.
The Advisor provides technical advice and strategic guidance to internal project teams as well as external partners (government ministries, local entities, etc.), as needed. The Advisor is specialized in their technical area (health financing, strategic purchasing, etc.) and leverages that expertise to support program design and execution. The Advisor provides technical leadership, is responsible for growing their portfolio and for ensuring high-quality technical project execution.
What you’ll do:
- Provide direct technical assistance to ensure high quality program results and execution across projects in the area of specialization. The Advisor will engage with ThinkWell’s project teams (both global project leads and in-country teams) to support program design and documentation of program findings.
- Prepare high quality written deliverables, including technical/program briefs and technical reports, based on data and analysis provided from the field / country projects.
- Design program initiatives, such as clinic incentives, provider payment and strategic purchasing options, etc.
- Contribute to work planning, coordinate with project teams and lead their engagement in collaborative projects
- Develop monitoring, evaluation, research and learning tools, indicators and plans
- Communicate with other ThinkWell technical advisors globally to build, share, exchange and disseminate technical knowledge
- Recruit, support and mentor team members in the area of technical specialty; potential dotted line management responsibility for technical team members
- Collaborate with the Well to design technical training and development activities that will support and build professional development
Organizational Leadership and Development
Represent ThinkWell in work location, actively engage key stakeholders, cultivate new business partnerships and concepts
Build project portfolio in technical specialty area in collaboration with Design Lab, program managers and other firm and country leaders.
Collaborate with Design Lab to collect and pursue new business information and contacts
Publish papers, articles and blogs. Present at conferences/participate in technical working groups on ThinkWell project-related technical innovations, priorities and results. Build ThinkWell reputation as a thought leader in the field.
Consult and coordinate with key stakeholders within government, donors, and other entities to build ThinkWell program division and reputation
Participate in company initiatives and teams to build intellectual and human capital in technical area of specialization
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 8+ yrs exp or graduate degree and 6+ years of exp;
- Substantive, relevant work experience in the specific area of technical expertise. (e.g., ministries of health and finance experience, health financing or health policy expertise, health systems strengthening, etc.) Adept at communicating technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Extensive experience with project monitoring and evaluation in the area of technical specialization.
- Demonstrated interest and ability in growing staff, mentoring and coaching junior professionals;
- A senior leader, able to rally staff around ThinkWell’s mission and priorities;
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work;
- Recognized as a leader in the area of technical specialty; strong international, professional network in the field
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with external strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- New business development, proposal writing and fundraising experience;
- Full English fluency, second language a plus; excellent written English skills;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%.