The Technical Advisor provides key technical support to enhance the quality of Joint Rohingya Response Program (JRRP) interventions that provide refugee healthcare in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. The Joint Rohingya Response Program has been developed in partnership between FH Association and Medical Teams International. The JRRP operates with the approach of integrating health services, a community health program, Community Health Workers (CHWs) and nutrition services in its health facilities and targeted communities. The technical advisor will support to ensure that the program efficiently and effectively achieves quality deliverables and outcomes as per the organization, donor, national and international standards through providing evidence based technical knowledge strategies and interventions.
*Note: while reporting to the Co-Program Director – Health, who is based in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, the Technical Advisor will also receive support and guidance from Medical Teams International designated staff (Program Manager and Program Officer, and global health advisors based in the United States).
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Health program technical support
- Give technical advice to health coordinators and field team leaders, country and HQ team on health program implementation, adaptations and internal capacity building. The different health teams i.e. Community Health Team, Clinical Team including SARI-ITC Team (clinic established for COVID-19 Isolation and Treatment), Mental Health and Psychosocial Team.
- Regularly visit health facilities and clinical care sites to monitor quality of care being provided with regards to rational use of medications, proper diagnosing, supportive patient care, and monitor for access issues for particular groups
- Supervise and monitor the development and utilization of health data reporting systems that includes data collection, collation, analysis and provide appropriate feedback to relevant stake holders such as staff, donors, clusters etc.
- Maintain an oversight on the health commodities supply chain and provide relevant support to both medical and logistics staff to ensure quality supplies are procured and accessed for the project.
- Be involved in developing strategies and guidelines for the project, quality proposal and report writing within stipulated timelines and donor guidelines.
- Ensure integration of crosscutting themes such as AGM and protection, beneficiary participation, accountability, and feedback in the program.
- Collaboratively work with program team to ensure sustainable quality of deliverables of the community health promotion and preventative interventions.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Provide coordination and technical support during epidemic outbreak and natural disaster preparedness and response efforts.
- Ensure composition, training, and equipment of medical emergency teams when needed.
- Assist with developing a functional Extended Program for Immunization (EPI) in JRRP catchment areas.
Representation, Advocacy and Coordination
- Represent FH/MTI in various coordination platforms and mechanisms, at relevant response cluster meeting, bilateral meetings, working groups, with national and/or local government departments to ensure JRRP activities are aligned within local and national sector.
- Network with key stakeholders and maintain JRRP on contact lists as appropriate and / or requested by supervisor.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Support entire program quality improvement through capacity building, monitoring and evaluation and reporting on program activities using tools developed with the support of global advisors or provided by organization, MoH, WHO and / or donor.
Staff support and capacity building
- Models leadership to all staff; intentionally develops, coaches and mentors’ key staff.
- Ensures the proper orientation, training, development, and care of staff.
- Provide leadership and people management expertise in managing change initiatives within country, bridging different ways of working and diverse working cultures within the teams.
- Provide technical oversight to medical volunteers.
- Overall responsibility for setting the standards on staff health/occupational health procedures and compliance and development of procedures in-country.
- Ensure accountability is integrated into country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff onboarding, trainings and performance management, partnership agreements, and highlighted in reporting.
- Support safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Utilize volunteers whenever possible
- Additional duties as assigned
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Clinical degree e.g. Bachelor of Medicine, Nursing or Public Health
- MPH or another relevant post-graduate degree is desirable
- At least two years’ relevant humanitarian and health program operations and management experience.
- Experience working with DFID, OFDA, BPRM, UNHCR, and UNICEF funded projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vibrant personality committed to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Values, Vision and Purpose as expressed in The Heartbeat;
- Excellent people skills including warmth and sensitivity, humility, conversational, able to relate to and effectively communicate with people from different cultures (at various levels within the organization);
- High integrity and a strong sense of professional ethics;
- Able to self-manage a diverse and dynamic set of responsibilities, proactively solve problems and / or suggest viable solutions while advancing goals and objectives;
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to plan and coordinate work, ensure the efficient flow of projects and processes;
- Strong people management skills / interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate, teach and mentor staff and volunteers;
- Comfortable and persuasive when speaking before both large and small groups;
- Ability to interact positively with all levels of the organization and across organizational and cultural boundaries;
- Demonstrated ability in analyzing financial documents, projections, expenditures, and accruals;
- Medical fitness to live and travel in rural and urban areas with extreme conditions and limited medical support;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Baseline knowledge of the Sphere standards, Minimum Initial Service Package for Reproductive Health, and evidence-based tools including Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses and Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition
- Proficiency in spoken and written English; proficiency in Bengali a plus. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Highly skilled at creating and monitoring budgets and making appropriate adjustments as necessary.
- Highly skilled at managing projects to satisfactory completion.
- Skilled with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel software
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to embrace and promote MTI’s mission and vision.
- Ability to uphold and exemplify the organization’s core values.
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner to donors, volunteers, and the public.
- Commitment to Medical Teams International Calling Statement and Core Values.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Work hour requirements
- Travel requirements when applicable
- Skilled at building and maintaining a high functioning, high performing work team
Tools and Equipment Used:
Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs; calculator, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine. Use of Microsoft Teams, Skype, and WhatsApp.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- The employee will be required to regularly travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme weather, and very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.