The Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, the European Union and the United Nations have launched the Spotlight Initiative (SI), a multi-year programme to address all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG), and harmful practices. The Spotlight Initiative (SI) aims to support transformative change on the ground to end VAWG, in numerous countries globally, including the Kyrgyz Republic. The initiative comes with the highest level of commitment globally and will be governed by the UN Deputy Secretary General and the Vice President of the EU Commission.
The SI in the Kyrgyz Republic will apply a comprehensive set of approaches based on social innovation, Human Rights, multi-sectoral inclusive response and survivor-centred principles to the planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of interventions across the SI’s six Outcome Areas. Particular emphasis will be placed on integrating the voices and experiences and solutions of women and girls who face multiple forms of discrimination, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) principle of ‘Leave No One Behind’. The SI in the Kyrgyz Republic has sought to reflect on current or common place models of ‘conducting business’ in order to propose innovative alternatives aligned with commitments to gender transformative and community-led approaches guided by adaptive leadership and a joint-One UN systems management approach.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the UNDP Chief Technical Advisor on Rule of Law, the Project Coordinator exercises overall responsibility for planning and managing UNDP interventions within the Spotlight programme in close collaboration and coordination with the UN Spotlight Technical Team, National Steering Committee, CS National Reference Group, RCO, implementing agencies and other stakeholders ensuring successful programme implementation.
1. Provision of top quality advisory on Spotlight and other UNDP projects on gender equality and women empowerment and programme development services:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country related to the SI programme areas, and preparation of substantive inputs to the programme planning/adjustments in those areas;
- Provide guidance, strategic advice and updates to UNDP senior management and relevant programme staff by developing briefs, analysis, background notes, talking points, support implementation of the gender seal recommendations in the office etc;
- Provide guidance, updates and information on the UNDP programme components to the National Steering Committee, Civil Society National Reference Group, implementing partners and other stakeholders of the Spotlight project.
2. Management and implementation of the SI programme:
- Take responsibility for the implementation of UNDP components under the “Spotlight Initiative Kyrgyzstan” project in compliance with the programme strategy and UNDP Rules and Regulations;
- Prepare Annual/Quarterly Work plans, revisions, narrative and financial progress and final Reports, budget forecasts ensuring the delivery of the assigned project resources against approved plans and budgets;
- Ensure aligning the project/ programme activities with the UNDP mandate and corporate priorities, National strategies/ programme and contribution to the capacity development of the national counterpart institutions;
- Liaise with key stakeholders, Spotlight Secretariat, the UN agencies and other partners to ensure proper coordination, integrity and partnership within the framework of project activities implementation;
- Ensure fulfillment of standard procedures, including the ones on procurement, contracting of services and formalizing partnerships, in accordance with UNDP Rules and Regulations;
- Regularly assess performance of specialists/assistants/ consultants working under his / her supervision;
- Ensure proper documentation and codification (knowledge management) of programme methodologies and experiences for wide dissemination and institutional memory;
- Undertake regular field visits (if necessary);
- Monitor regularly and ensure timely and adequate implementation of the component action plans, undertake necessary preparatory actions for the planned activities, and liaise with relevant parties, if needed;
- Handle correspondence and keep the filing system related to the project and to general programme matters;
- Arrange project events including meetings, trainings and other activities related to programme implementation;
- Work towards achievement of goals set up in UNDP strategic documents (Corporate strategy, UNDAF, CPAP, Programme document etc.) and relevant national legislation;
- Work with the UNDP CTA on RoL, respective Advisors/project coordinators as well as SDG16 Team Leader on the substantive aspects of the programme;
- Perform other duties that may be required for effective implementation of the programme.
3. Inter-Agency Coordination Support:
- Work closely with the SI Coordinator and SI Technical Team on inter-agency coordination activities through participation in meetings, events, groups and committees;
- Provide substantive support to the UNDP senior management on inter-agency coordination related to the SI programme.
4. Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Document and share of EVAWG innovations with the wide audience, including through blogging and other social network tools in coordination with UNDP Communication Team;
- Support the development and documenting of knowledge management strategies, methodologies, best practices and lessons learnt products for the SI programme;
- Support the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks related to the SI programme;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Design and management of evaluation processes, including with multiple stakeholders;
- Survey design and implementation especially related to topics of VAWGs and GBV;
- Strong knowledge (and expertise applying) Ethical and safety guidelines for research on gender-based violence;
- Social science research;
- Results-based project/programme/policy planning, monitoring and management;
- Strong awareness and sensitivity to gender issues and programming on elimination of violence against women and girls;
- Understanding of human rights-based and LNOB approaches to programming;
- Understanding of Results Based Management (RBM) principles;
- Logic modeling/logical framework analysis;
- Quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis;
- Rapid assessment procedures;
- Participatory approaches.
- Technical knowledge of policies and programmes on gender equality and elimination of violence against women and girls;
- Experiences in working on rights-based approaches including intervention models to address multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination;
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity regarding gender issues;
- Strong understanding of various methodologies in gender responsive monitoring and evaluation, both qualitative and quantitative, such as surveys, record reviews, focus groups and cases studies;
- Ability to contribute to the development of efficient and effective monitoring and evaluation methodology for programming;
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and in a team;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrates creativity and creative problem solving;
- Schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitors performance against development and other objectives and corrects deviations from the course;
- In providing advice to the RCO and the UNCT, has the capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations; evaluates information accurately and identifies key issues required to resolve problems;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; and
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Evaluation, or relevant Social Sciences, or other related field;
- Bachelor’s degree in above areas with two additional years of qualifying experience can be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree (or equivalent);
- Gender certification is an asset.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in managing/coordinating, implementing projects and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, preferably related to gender equality, women rights and empowerment;
- At least 1 year of experience in managing teams;
- Technical experience in EVAWG will be an asset;
- Experience of work with the international organizations, high-level government officials representing central governmental bodies and local administrations;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English and Russian is required;
- Fluency in Kyrgyz would be a strong asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months with possible extension