Los Angeles, CA or Washington, DC
International Medical Corps is a global humanitarian nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in areas worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at high risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance
Serves as an editor and writer for a wide range of printed and online communications and marketing collateral, including news and human-interest stories for internal and external distribution, brochures, fact sheets, talking points, briefing notes, reports, scripts, videos, e-newsletters and proposals. Assists with media relations and outreach.
Main Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation. The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Provides editorial support for external and internal communications efforts, working closely with Global Communications staff and with staff throughout the organization to craft and distribute timely information on a regular basis about the organization’s achievements, initiatives and priorities
- Supports the development of content for the organization’s websites, blogs and social media channels.
- Supports executive communications efforts, including speeches, talking points and presentations.
- Participates in public outreach and awareness initiatives, including media relations and outreach (cultivating relationships with reporters, pitching stories, responding to requests, etc.).
- Contributes to and helps maintain editorial style guidelines, including an IMC Style Manual. Provides editorial guidance, training and support to other departments and field staff.
- Monitors internal and external sources to build subject-matter expertise; develops relationships with relevant staff throughout the organization; provides counsel on communications priorities.
- Performance of other duties as assigned by manager. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of the work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
- Bachelor's degree, and at least five years of experience as an editor, writer and PR representative in a dynamic, fast-paced, high-volume work environment. Advanced degree a plus.
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills; able to interpret and simplify technical language to adapt it for a wide range of audiences.
- Excellent research, interviewing and writing skills; adept at writing clean, engaging copy under deadline pressure.
- Strong organizational and project-management skills; ability to oversee production of a high volume of quality work within tight timeframes, often including multiple simultaneous projects.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with people inside and outside of the organization, and to manage working relationships diplomatically.
- Ability to work successfully and effectively as part of a team, as well as independently, in a multicultural and participatory environment.
- Solid computer skills, including the Microsoft Office suite. Familiarity with the design and production process.
- Experience working for an NGO and/or humanitarian-aid agency.
- Fluency in English, spoken and written. Additional languages a plus.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.